Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, January 23, 2010

UWBL January 23rd, 2010

A cold, damp, monochromatic morning set the tone for the UWBL this Saturday. The A's were heading out for the Battle of Waterloo a 108mile sojourn heading south towards the coast.

Giselle, KP, Kristin, Joe, Perry and I headed out with the A's, although Giselle, KP, Kristin, Perry and I were going to ride out about 35miles and then U-turn and make our way back. Perry backed off early on the ride and joined the B's, while the rest of us tried to stay out of the wind and on the wheel in front of us.

Giselle and I rode at the front taking pulls while KP and Kristin tried to stay comfortable in the pack. Everyone rode well out. And we did our U-turn at Hickory Tavern. Joe opted to stay in for the long haul (Joe how did it go).

The 4 of us rode back at tempo..... and would have gotten 70 miles in if I hadn't missed the LEFT turn onto Bracken Road...... that cost us 7 miles, 4 climbs, a bit of frustration and I am sure some choice thoughts from the group. Oh well.... I really wanted to get in 4+ hours today......

Giselle road very strong, Kristin had alot of spin left in her legs and KP was right there thinking about lunch......

Great group.... good ride....

4 comments:

Giselle said...

We knew all along that Bird knew what he was doing taking us on that "detour"...just adding on the miles! :) 80 miles is just a warm-up to him...

The great thing was that it was REALLY enjoyable riding with everyone, although it would have been a tad bit easier if Joe and Perry were there on the way in...more draft...oh...and good company, of course!

On a personal level, it was nice to be able to ride ~80 miles and still be of some kind of use for the rest of the day.

joe said...

Actually it was pretty good. I kinda lost it on the last long hill during the final sprint zon, but I regrouped with Jim Sr. and Ed M. and we took it in the rest of the way. Maybe 2 Minutes behind the main group. I am pretty happy for the day. Next week should be better and hopefully warmer.

Bird said...

That's outstanding... especially for this time of year...

I think I would have been toast the last 15-20mi...

I am going to continue to do 1 4-5 hour ride for the rest of winter so I will try to make it down for the UWBL on Saturday's.... are you planning on riding after the ITT on Saturday?

joe said...

Yes I will do the TT because my kids made me and want something to laugh about. I am not really that good on these short fast climbs.