Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, January 7, 2010

HOUSTON HALF MARATHON

I thought I would share some of my mental prep for Houston (1/17). Houston is a B race for me but I will do my best. I have been visualizing positive outcomes for a couple of weeks.

I start with an affirmation, a positive first person statement about who I want to be, not necessarily who I am. I have been using this over and over during training and it will be in my mind during the race to strengthen me.

I AM PAIN MAKER (vs a pain taker)!
It is currently conjuring up the picture of the warrior Jake Scully in Avatar. I used it alot this afternoon during a two training run......best 13.1 miles in 155 minutes. Laugh??? This stuff works.
I have scouted the course as my daughter has done it before and it is pancake flat. We have 7AM start.
The next thing to construct is the race plan which I based on BREAKTHRU RUNS leading up to the race:
Eat a good breakfast of oatmeal and fruit at about 4:30AM
make the long drive to downtown.
Arrive at race at 6AM and consume PBJ.
I will push up 9-10 from the front as I see my competition did this last year(gun vs chip).
First 5 miles - HR pace at 145 - between Z2 and Z3(aerobic and tempo).
Second 5 miles - HR pace 150-155 - solid Z3(tempo).
Last 3.1 miles - HR pace 160 - 160+ - LT (redline).
GOAL TIME: 142:00
Placement goal: Top 5 in AG (Reviewed times from last 2 years - estimated 130 runners in AG)
Supporting goal: Run the last 3 miles 10 sec/mile faster than first 3 miles.
In the first mile a lot of really unfit looking people will be passing me!!! Go slow, RM!
I AM A PAIN MAKER.
OORAH!
I'll let you know how it works out!
RM

1 comment:

Giselle said...

Sounds like a plan you can follow...nice flat road, minimal wind...you got it! I recommend beer after.