Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Randall Ramblings... Test....

Randall and I rode Dupont a week ago and what follows is Randall's ride synopsis......

You will have to picture a snow covered road, as I cannot see how to add a photo to the blog post...........

I know you will think: "What wonderful picture of Utah and your snowboard trip." No.... this is Dupont Forest on Dec 28, 2009, the day Bird introduced me to Limbird Offseason Snow Training (LOST).

It was a perfect day as a 2 foot snowfall a few days prior had warmed and frozen several times to create solid ice. After my 1hour plus run, Bird showed up and proclaimed it a perfect day.

The master of routes, Bird took me out of the Forest on Old Pinnacle Rd. This was decided after he checked several trails only to find them all frozen. Yes, we rode right up the road in the picture and in fact several miles just like it. Frozen hard, the ice was not penetrated by our tires at all.

What I learned while LOST:
* Pedaling skills - You can put zero force on the pedals as the tire will spin out you will fall immediately. A high cadence is advisable. (this training would be ideal for Stratton).
* Ice Rash - There is no such thing. When you fall going downhill and you WILL fall, it is as hard as asphalt. You get bruised/broken but no rash!
* Changing lanes - When riding in 6" deep ice ruts is impossible. The minute you attempt to cross over, you are going down....similar to crossing a wet RR track at a severe angle.
* Left alone - Bird screamed down the icy descents and I was left alone. He waited at the turn and I am sure would have come back if I had not eventually showed?

Close to the end of Old Pinnacle but still a long way from the car, two brothers in 4 wheel drive Toyota pickup came up from behind and talked to me. They asked me how I was doing and I said I was over my head. Sure their father starred in Deliverance (I remember what happened to one of the guys in that film), I did not ask for a ride.

I am recommending the following equipment for LOST riders:
* 1 ice pick
* 1 shovel
* 2 studded tires
* 2 flares
* 1 rescue dog

The sad thing about it is the fact that it will likely be a long time before see these ideal conditions again! However, with this under my belt, I am sure I will contend at Nats this year.

RM

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Yeah, it may be a good idea to take all mtbike trips south the next few weeks.

Giselle said...

Along the lines of Deliverance...maybe add a condom to the list. OK...not funny... :)