Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Friday, June 25, 2010

POA crit for Women!

Last night, the POA crit series offered their first women's race this year. They promised that if they had a field of at least 15 women they would pay out three deep. On a VERY hot day with a 5:45 start, it was a long shot. GHS Every Women's team had 8 or 9 (?) women there, Kenda had 3, we had 4, and there were several independent girls...we had our field and our payout!

The course was new. Curvy and fast throught the start finish stretch, going into sharp curve into a headwind stretch, then a short steep climb, and more of a headwind stretch. I undeliberately got away on the first lap with an acceleration that nobody followed. A little later, Nicole bridged up to me. I really didn't want to work WITH anyone other than a team mate, so I accelerated into the headwind and up the hill to try to drop her and it worked! 10 minutes into the race, I was suffering like a dog! Knowing I had teammates behind me in the group kept me going...I knew they would be sitting in covering any attacks from the group. I managed to stay away. The best part was watching the field sprint finish and Sam winning! It was a pure drag-race type of finish...the kind that let's everyone show their stuff! There was a lot of attrition in the field. KP finished with the group in 6th, and Brady was 7th.

So in the end, Headstrong was 1, 2, 6, and 7...I'm so proud of us!

6 comments:

emily wood said...

Well done ladies. Way to beat the heat, the wind, and the field.

Perry said...

You ladies were awesome! I really enjoyed watching this race...G's solo off the front, KP taking a prime, and Sam's sprint finish. Great team effort...

Big Dog said...

U guys rock!

Sam said...

Giselle is like a bottle rocket. She took off and never looked back, it was awesome to watch. Thanks for your support Perry!

Debbie said...

You ladies are awesome. I'm sad I missed out on the fun.

Sam said...

We missed you too Deb!