Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, August 30, 2010

RACE TO THE ROCK 7K TT

Race to the Rock took place on Sunday at Lake Lure. This is a 7k TT that ascends Chimney Rock, a grade of 7%. Lake Lure is the site where Dirty Dancing was filmed. We stayed at the historic 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa in the "Beach View" room. We attempted to stay in the actual inn, in the Patrick Swayze room, but for 250$ a night, we opted out. We found ourselves, and another friend who rode up with us, around the back of the actual inn in a more moderately sized room. It was great!

The TT started at 7:30 from the Inn itself. We were up at 5am scarfing oatmeal and eggs hoping to get a good warm-up in before the actual climb. About 10 minutes before the start, we were told by the Setup Events crew that the TT would be a mass start! With not much time to dwell on this new information, 10 women approached the start line. The first mile of the course is flat to rolling. Emily set the pace and tried to pull off, but all the riders, including the winner from last year, Cara Applegate, followed her to the left, not letting her get off the front. Emily was doing all the work. Eventually, i was on the front, but not wanting to kill myself before the big climb, I just rode a moderate pace........

We eventually made it to the Chimney Rock Park entrance, turning left. We had a hair over 3 miles to go to the summit. I found myself with three or so women. The pace was full throttle now as we did switchback after switchback. We eventually caught up to a few men and sat on their wheels. It was down to Cara and I for the women. With about 1.5 miles to go, I was in front of Cara and she attacked me from behind, shooting up the left side. I countered and caught up to her and sat on her wheel. I eventually was riding side by side with her, woman to woman. It felt great. I was there as if to say, i can hang with you without drafting on your wheel. With less than 1/2 mile to go I started to pull away from her. The final pitch was somewhat steeper. I could hear the people cheering above me as I rounded what would be the last switchback. There would be no need to sprint against her. She was not in sight. I sprinted under the finish line as the first woman up Chimney Rock (19:17). Cara finished 2nd (19:37), and Emily rounded out the podium in third (20:13).

Emily and I won a combined 25$ for a 2nd and 3rd place finish at Paris Mtn TT. This race, we combined for 150$. I hope Greenville will continue to step it up for female racers.

After the TT, riders were only allowed to descend the mountain in groups of 12, following a golf cart with rangers, which was followed by an ambulance with lights going. It was quite a sight as we descended the mountain, switchback after switchback, the riders constantly having to slow as to not hit the ambulance that was there for "safety", haha.

After the race, we did a cool down with Cara around Lake Lure. For those of you who who rode the "cool down" after the last Paris Mtn. TT, it was anything but chill. We found ourselves riding very steep pitches, steeper pitches than what we had just raced! The Lake and sunshine was spectacular, soothing our sore legs and luring us into the beauty of creation. That afternoon we decided we would hike Chimney Rock, all one million steps to a view that was incredible. I think I am more sore today from the hiking than the actual bike event :)

I am thankful to Emily for the great pull at the start and also for letting me get in front of her as a car braked on the way towards the base of Chimney Rock. If she hadn't let me in, I would have most likely lost the group, getting trapped behind the car. THANKS!!!

Looking forward to State Champs!
Race on.

3 comments:

Giselle said...

I guess a TT that is a mass start ends up being a RR...in this case a 7 km RR! I think that's hilarious!

But the really interesting thing is that somehow you end up with the weirdest experiences at races...they make for great stories! Do you seek them out, or do they somehow find you?!

Big Dog said...

Weinacker, you are ready for the BIG TIME. In 2011, I encourage larger more organized events.

Big Dog said...

Oh, if were not thrilled to have pulled away from Cara Applegate, you should be! She and her near legendary husband, Andy, are the ELITE NATIONAL TANDEM CHAMPIONS! You took down a really serious bike racer. Look at her finish at French Broad.