Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Big Birthday

My birthday is today but last night was the real celebration. Some guys have parties and go to bars etc. I went to SCTAC with Bird, Mel, Joe, G, Gillespie, Sam, Tom and Lindsey. Despite 90 degree temps, threatening rain and high humidity we put an all out assault on the A Group.

There were all the 'Usual Suspects' on the warm up and pack speed came up quickly after GC Hill. We were averaging 26mph. People were going backwards and flying 'off the back'. I know how it feels because at times that has been me.

Bird bridged to a breakaway. Lindsey was off in the next break(is she amazing?...later she told Bird that I taught her to set out the first break and go on the second one...did I say that?). I took 3rd wheel as a really strong guy closed about hundred meter gap to a breakaway. Wow, that took it out of me. I almost snapped and at the end of lap 2, I went to mid pack to rest.

In lap 3, we neared the back side hill with the red brick building on the right, when all hell broke loose. People and bikes were flying. I went left to the grass and a guy was down in front of me. People were running into my back. I stayed up and rode to a stop!

Tom was down. A young friend, Brian, was down along with 10-12 others. It was carnage but everybody started to move. Bloody, bent wheels and bruised. I pray Tom's hip is not fractured.

Bird and I hightailed it to the car to come back and get Tom. Everyone else was on their bikes. We caught the back of the B Group and it started to rain. I was done for the day.

Later, Bird took me to dinner at High Cotton. We talked a lot about cycling, the TEAM and other things.

So, what is like to be 61??? Well, riding in the A Group at SCTAC with your team mates/friends and having dinner with a great friend is pretty sweet. People congratulating me on Nationals and that was pretty cool, too. It was the first time I realized that how placed there did not matter as much to me as the fact that I had the cohones to go. I think I will remember this birthday for a long time! Thanks to those of you who shared it with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday Randall. And you SHOULD be proud of all you have accomplished in cycling this year. It's absolutely amazing to me. 61 and competing. That's huge. Have a great day. It sounds like you already celebrated last night but treat yourself special today!

beth

joe said...

Happy Birthday Randall. I hope to be a strong of a rider as you are at 61! You are amazing. Have a great day.

Sam said...

Have a wonderful birthday Randall! There are guys half your age that wished they had half your fitness, drive and "cahones"! Here's to the next 39 years.

Lara said...

Hope you had a great day! Happy Birthday!

Kristen Weinacker said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRECTOR SPORTIF! LOOKING FORWARD TO SOME GREAT RIDES WITH YOU THIS FALL AND BEFORE!! HOPE I CAN KEEP UP WITH YOUR TURBO ENGINE! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TAUGHT ME THUS FAR THIS YEAR! BELIEVING IS SEEING!!!

AND, a special shout out to Tom R. for a speedy recovery!!!

Giselle said...

Damn...61! I hope to still be alive at that age! ;-)

Okay...y'all know I'm kidding, right? That's YOUNG! You rock, Randall! I'm glad you had a great day, and truly wish I could have had dinner with you after. I don't think they would have let me into High Cotton, though...