Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Oak Ridge Omnium

RR/TT/Crit in Oak Ridge, TN. My AG has 5 guys in it from Nationals. Saturday window:

6:00 PM - Warming up for the 8 mile TT and thinking of one word: REDEMPTION. I DNF'd the RR in the morning on a mechanical.

6:09 - Staging - Durward Higgins is starting 30 seconds in front of me in his National Championship Skin Suit. Sure he won the 65-69 AG in Louisville but the National Champion is the National Champion and this dude is a legend. Here's my chance.

6:11:30 - Durward is off. "I am coming for you, Durward."

6:12 - I am off and hammer is down!

6:13 -Headed up some rolling hills: "Oh my Gosh! I am taking him....I am closing."

6:22 appr - At the turn around. "He is only 10 secs ahead...my advantage is 20 seconds!"

6:23 - "You got him, u gotta go hard cause Ralph(Smook) was close at the turn."

6:27:52 - "He(Durward) is gaining- get a bigger gear...drive it drive it drive."

6:31: 36 - At the finish line - "I think I got him, maybe I got?"

6:34 - "What about Ralph and the others?"

7:14 - I am in anguish. The results come up from the course:

Randall Maddox - 1st - 19:36
Durward Higgins - 2nd - 19:48
Ralph Smook - 3rd - 20:11

REDEMPTION is sweet!

5 comments:

joe said...

Randall, this is awesome!

Perry said...

Congrats, very inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Nice going Randall. That has to feel soooo good.

Giselle said...

Wow! Don't you wish you were older and had raced against Higgins at Nationals? Ha!

Way to TT, Randall!

Big Dog said...

I plan to be faster at 65 than I am now so i should be GOLDEN!