Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sub 12

I can only speak for myself. My goal for the Paris Mtn. TT was to go sub 12 minutes. It is funny how when you are warming up for a race how fast the time goes by. At other times, time on a bike can drudge by at an ever so slow pace.

I found myself at the staging area far too quickly. I was seeded to start behind a gentleman who was wearing a very American TT suit. He looked serious, tall and lean. I had my garmin watch set to auto pause. Nicole Johnson did the official count down, and Captain America was off (this was a dubbed nickname by a few riders behind me). I was ready, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 GO! The first minute was brutal as my legs started to fill with lactic acid. I had had a great warm-up but even just the short amount of time spent in the staging area, it took a little while for the legs to kick in and loosen up.

I could see my moving American target up ahead. My goal was to gain ground, and I did. I used him as a pace bunny never taking my eyes off of him. I do not recall what was going thru my head as I ascended the mountain. Maybe I was thinking about the coffee I had had at Em's that morning and hoping for an extra caffeine turbo boost? Maybe I was thinking about puppies and kittens and how my HR was probably at 185bpm. I'm not sure, it doesn't matter. I had to focus. I was gaining on Captain America. I did not dare look at my watch until crossing the line. It read, 12:06, which was approx. the same time I had had at the last TT. I knew with the auto start option dialed in, I would be close to 12min. If you haven't done the TT before, it is a rolling start, you get a few seconds to clip in before the actual line and your official time begins.

Last night I was up at 2:30am with achy, cramped up legs. I layed in bed reading An Idiot's guide to learning Latin. I hobbled down the stairs to the fridge, had a snack and ascended the long flight of steps back up into bed. I can say this, my legs hurt, it was pure torture and joy at the same time. We are blessed to have the ability to push our bodies to the limits like we do. To exceed limits that we never thought were achievable. I work every day with those who have cognitive and physical limits. I am reminded daily to live for today. As Christina and I like to say, "I'm just thankful to be here." To be in this moment, to be on this team, to learn and grow from each of you.

I felt good on the climb, not quite as good as last time, but managed to eek out a sub 12. Sub 11 next year? Sure, why not?

Carpe Diem!

4 comments:

Big Dog said...

Just so you know, I am thankful you are here!

Perry said...

It was a great day...and I enjoyed reading your narrative; I definitely see a sub-eleven in your horoscope. We could have done with a few less dogs on the "yellowbrick road", eh?

joe said...

When I saw captain America, I thought to myself "what am I doing here". Great that you caught him. Even though we road for over 2 hours my legs were burning all evening too. I never would have thought that I could sub 13. 2 years ago I was happy to sub 15. I you can dream it you can do it! Great job!

Giselle said...

Amazing times! Am I surprised? Not the least bit. Congrats to everyone who acheived their personal goals and kudos to all of you who did it. Y'all are climbing fools! :)