Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Master's Nationals Womens Road Races

Thunderstorms threatened the day but gratefully, also brought a drop in record high temperatures (read: heat index at 117 degrees yesterday). Our Greenville friends, Catherine James and Nicole Bossie Johnson, both of Team Kenda had their race shortened today and, I hear, both took a tumble in their 35-39 AG race.

Giselle Weeks, our women's team captain and our most seasoned racer also had a tough day racing in her AG of 45-49. The rain stopped pre race for "G" but left a slick course causing several crashes--including her. G must bounce as she came back to the main pack and sprinted in for a bronze finish! Congrats to Giselle for another podium placement.

I raced 50-54 AG and bellied up to the start line with 16 other riders. These women were seasoned racers. One didn't need to ask--you could tell by their calves, their quads and the way they sat their bikes. And, did I mention, I swear I heard them talking about what Olympics they were in? or what Olympics they knew one another from. I need to research that. Whoa, was I in over my head! Yikkeeees.

I should tell you that even mental coaches get mental and it took EVERYTHING I had in my quiver to get myself to that start line. It is safe to say I was at the edge of my comfort zone. Definitely pushing the envelope. But there I was and off we went. I had a mechanical 8 minutes out on a 15 minute lap (My AG was doing 6 laps for a total of 30 miles). My chain dropped and wedged itself in requiring I dismount to correct it. Back on I was racing to get to the peleton. Because we were warned about the numerous crashes of the prior two groups, we gave some respect to the course. But try as we may to stay vertical, there was a crash just beyond my mechanical on the first lap. Hmmm...my advantage here as I wove my way around the fallen riders and grabbed a wheel of a competitor that was looking back to see who she had to work with. She saw me racing for her wheel and hollered out an "alright" and off we went.

About the time I was thinking about what a great bike handler she was as she maneuvered around the extremely curvy course, her wheels slid out from under her, she was down and was sliding across the road and I was weaving around her. I picked up another racer. Linda and I worked together lap after lap until the final lap when she dropped me on the final climb to the finish. I did not have enough left to chase her sprint but was pleased to take 10th.

So, what did I learn?
1. Keep in the game. Do not give up. One never knows what lies around the corner.
2. The anxious, nervous energy I expended pre race was a waste.
3. Cornering and handling skills are invaluable.

Crits are Saturday for us ladies and Randall races his Sunday. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

Big Dog said...

Tip: On wet roads, inflate your tires to only 95 lbs. Great job by the Headstrong women!

joe said...

Way to go ladies. We are proud of you!

Sam said...

Christina, I am so proud of you. Mental toughness is hard to come by sometimes - you've proved you have both. Congratulations - 10th in the nation!!

Sam said...

Giselle is made of tougher stuff than us mere mortals - we've seen her bounce! Awesome result G. We have to come up with a Superhero name for you!!

Perry said...

Fantastic results! What a year...what a team!

Debbie said...

Sorry that I am missing out on the fun! You gals (and guys)are awesome.

Big Dog said...

I have a name for her.....Super G!