Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, February 22, 2010

Green Valley 10 miler

Race Report: Green Valley 10 miler

I had 3 goals for the Green Valley 10 miler on Saturday. First, get to the starting line, pain free. Check. Second, run a steady race. Check. Lastly, get to the finish line... since I had not run 10 miles since last June... Check!

What I had not anticipated was the stomach bug I woke to that morning. I was hoping it was just bit a food poisoning or oddly enough nerves, but considering I was sick until the early hours of Sunday morning (and my husband had no ill effects from the dinner), we have decided it is probably the stomach virus that my sales assistant went home with a few days earlier.

Needless to say, I was determined to get my first race of the year under my belt.

I arrived at Furman still feeling queasy but ran into several friends who distracted me long enough to let the feeling fade. I started the race with Perry and a 6:45 first mile! The pace felt easy, but I also knew my body hadn't seen that pace in quite some time. I slowed my pace down to keep a steady 7 min pace and went through the first five miles in 35 minutes. That is about where I started feeling nauseous again. I had taken a gel at the 4 mile water stop. With having no nutrition in me, I knew that I needed something but it made me feel worse than better. Needless to say my pace slowed down a bit in the second half. I finished in just over 1:11 and 1st in my age group.

It wasn't a PR, but I was happy to have accomplished the goals of the race. My Achilles and calf muscle were showing no signs of relapse despite the pace. The course was beautiful with tons of hills and winding roads.

Sunday morning I was a bit tight with lactic acid but again no pain. Saturday was a good test. Today's goal was to get some nutrition back in me and get my strength back. Check.

Next up... first bike race of the year for me... Fork Shoals!


4 comments:

Perry said...

Great job on Sat! That was a demanding course, and with your queasy stomach, an amazing result. Good luck at Fork Shoals.

Debbie said...

Way to run! Can't wait to see you at Fork Shoals.

Big Dog said...

Lara, they will likely run the Cat 4 seperate. If so, Brady and KP will be there. Please talk to each other. The course has some big hills and you guys are strong enough to get away. Also, the finish is 1.2k uphill. you guys should kill 'em.

Giselle said...

I'm glad you had a good day considering your stomach! Mostly, it's good that your calf and achilles didn't hurt...that seems to be an epidemic this year.

You will like the Fork Shoals race!