Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, February 28, 2010

DESERT CLASSIC DUATHLON


This is one of the most famous du's in the country. It fully subscribes every year. In a remote park in the mountains outside Phoenix, 500 is the max the infrastructure can handle. Doesn't sound like many but most are very serious.


This morning Teenie scratched due to a pretty strong head cold and 144 others decided not show. This was likely because it was 49F and raining like crazy at start time. It had started at midnight and did not let up until after the race.


I had come to win. I knew the guys had to beat. Only one Canadian was unfamiliar. I speculated he did not come from Edmonton unless he was a competitor. I saw him at the start line......he looked like he could run. He passed me half way through the Run 1, which took us through thick heavy wet desert sand and many washes. On the bike, some poor bike handling in a crowd at the turn around, caused me to drop my chain and cost me a minute, according to my power meter. I passed about 75 cyclists who had started in waves before me but I did not pass the Candian until T2. I maintained the lead in Run2 until about 600-700m from the finish. I heard his cadence. I could not match it. The hills were steep, the mud deep and then there was 4-6 inch deep gravel coming up to the finish.


In the end, 36 seconds seperated us. 36 seconds stood between me and first place! I could think about that chain coming off for a long time. But, I have 2 races next week. One is the SC State 10K Road Race Championship(Reedy River 10K) . The other will reunite me with the Masters Team at Donaldson on Friday. So, I am looking forward, not back!


Never ran before with feet ice cold and numb before.........interesting sensation! Oh, you can see I proudly wearing the colors.

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Nice racing! What place did you end up? I have that same head cold Teenie, I feel your pain.

Debbie said...

Nevermind, I see it. 2nd is awesome. Way to go!

Giselle said...

How cool is that! You didn't mention it in the phone call, Randall.

BTW, Edmonton is my home town! You HAVE to be tough to survive the winters there :)