Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, April 2, 2012

TEAM MATES ADD VALUE

Sometimes, I take, having great team mates, for granted.   Last week, the Hoodster and Camille came in and rode the legs off Bake, Teenie and I.   Hoodster casually gave me some advice after we climbed the Watershed.......I needed to turn a bigger gear(#13 Marginal Gain).

Later, Teenie told me I had been working with her all winter on this!  The advice stung but my respect for my team mate, made me feel I needed to try some changes.  Late in the week, I did some short 3-4 climb, comparing varied cadence, but no progress.

On Sunday, I decided to take my new bike (53/39-12/25) to the Watershed and Pierson Falls.   I started cycling at 215 lbs. about 5 years ago...........I tried this gearing then and I was walking..........I had serious trepidation.  

Giselle and I hit the climb shoulder to shoulder.   About half way up, I asked, "Are in Z2?"   She said she was in Z2/Z3 and ask me.  When I said I was at threshold, she replied, "Oh, my!"   That said, I was rolling.  My pedal stroke stayed smooth and the gearing 'made' me turn a bigger gear.  Later, the analysis of the training file revealed strong results.  I continued the big gear work on Pierson and the rest of the ride.

After standing up a steep pitch, G told me to belly breathe(#14 Marginal Gain) a couple of times to bring down my HR.......this I will practice in the future.

I have always known that the best way to get better at something is to surround yourself with better, stronger, wiser and more experienced people.   I got confirmation of this last week.

1 comment:

The Hoods said...

Too cool...so glad that you kept trying it and that it's working for you. There may be a new "climber" on the TEAM!