Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Bird's eye view...... addendum to Steve's post..


Saturday’s highlights… teenie missing the start of her race and chasing back on to end up 2nd… the “chariots of fire” award.   Brandon..3 crashes in one day…must be a record… didn’t go down but had to bunny hop a rider then the curb only to hit a brick wall head on….. then, a crash before we even start racing the Cat 3,4 putting us at the back of the start… didn’t slow him down, but the next crash did prevent him from having a top 5 placement (Tyler Hamilton award).  Baker fighting to hang in a slugfest to make a top 10 finish..

Sunday  45/55+… game plan.. START AT THE FRONT… Steve has a good shot at the 45+ SC Championship, and DS maybe the 55+.. so if we are there at the end, plan is I do a lead out with Steve on my wheel and DS follows his…. Steve says best to string this thing out due to corners and damp pavement.  DS says if it gets bunched up I should go and string it out….. and, right before the start….Giselle whispers in my ear “ride smart”…

Whistle blows and GO!.  A rider goes…. I take second position and we push the pace…. I take the lead halfway around (ride smart)… wanting to test the turns… (corners as DS says).. we rip through 2 laps and I fade back into the pack… we are rolling averaging 26mph… out of the saddle sprinting out of every corner…… Steve moves up .. a break goes .. Steve chases… I chase…… Steve chases….and chases… and chases…. Gets back in and I come around trying to give him my wheel as I hear him say “I don’t think I have it today”… I try to be smooth hoping he recovers…..recover?  He is passing me on my right moving back to the front…. Another break, Steve goes,  I go…… I have lost count on the laps… back side turn… scraping metal someone hits the pavement … no idea who…..its Randall, he’s OK, getting up… he will make it to the pit…keep going” I hear from Steve… we are drilling it.. we come around and DS is jumping in … blood on his elbow, knee, and socks.. he goes to the front setting pace….  Comes back….  Steve moves up fighting for that 4th position… Steve, DS, and I are all together near the front… 6 or 8 back…. 3 laps to go…  DS “says got to move up” I say “not yet, follow me”… DS goes to the front  (what?)….. no one will go around ….they are hanging him out to dry ….. 2 to go…. Last lap DS back in the pack … pace is ratcheting up…. the locomotive  is moving up.. second to last turn .. accelerating… tension…focus…you don’t hear….. nor think…. running on autopilot……last turn… Steve comes out in 4th .... 200meters to go,  I am 6-7several riders back (wasn’t I supposed to be leading?) thinking GO STEVE GO….
Steve takes the bronze…. I am surprised with a 3rd place in the 55+ …. DS finishes like a true gladiator before heading off to the medics… …   

2 comments:

Kristen Weinacker said...

What a great Bird's eye view and a fun account. Loved it! Thanks for sharing.

Giselle said...

It was a VERY exciting race to watch! I think thats why I still feel worn out!!!