Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, April 9, 2012

Cracked on Mt Lemmon

This is the face of a man sitting on the guard rail at the 8 mile marker; cracked, done, finished.

I have always said you have to fail to win so I guess I made a down payment on winning.  To me, you must know your limits(a moving target) in racing and training and the only way to know a limit is to reach it.

Today, I was over reached and under geared.

Over reach - When one trains beyond ones limits on a short term basis...........over training is similar but refers to a more chronic long term issue.   I have been increasing my training load in a focus to increase my threshold power.   I have gone from 3 hard days a week to 4-5.   This means 2-3 days in row.  With a lot of rest, AOK so far.  So, today, I went for a 4th day!  Ouch!

Under gear - Refers to using too small cassette in the rear.  After racing and riding successfully in the rollers on a 50/34-11/23 combination, I took it up the big hill.   Not there yet, my cadence fell below a sustainable rate as I put too much on my legs.    I think I needed a 25 to keep the pedals turning over, at some points.

Risk is an interesting thing.   As an entrepreneur for 40 years, I know a fair amount about it.  You might think I am big risk taker??..........only to a point.   I tend to risk when I can afford to lose.   Saturday, I took a risk by going off the front late in a crit.   When the dude with me pulled the rip cord right after we jumped, leaving me solo,  I was overtaken and finished back in the field sprint.    I felt perfectly OK to go for the win, only to lose.

If you watched the PR on Sunday, you saw a man take a huge risk(and win) and cyclists will talking about that around campfires for 10,000 years!

Today, I found I did not have 4 days in row in me........tomorrow, I spin for one hour??  No big deal.  THEY don't take away my birthday.

See ya out there.

4 comments:

The Hoods said...

a wise man (my Dad) once told me that it only counts in a race...if you die on a training ride it's so you can live in a race. And...good for you to go for it in the crit. As Jens Voigt said if you go for it 10 times and succeed once you've won 10% of your races. If you don't go for it you've won 0%.

Bird said...

another wise said, "never dig yourself a hole you cannot get out of"...

what was that recent discussion we had on "recovery"?

The Hoods said...

hee, hee

Giselle said...

Are you training for a stage race? :)