Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, April 7, 2012

One Tenth Of A Second

I have probably went up Paris Mtn. 39 times in 2012. With number 40 I was not so lucky. It rained a lot the night before, but when I left the house the sun was shining and the roads were pretty much dried up. Going up the front side, there was not a wet spot on the road. Then going down towards Furman, I kinda road down as always - fast! That's when it happened. I leaned into a turn and before I could register the wet road with all the leaves, my bike slid out from underneath and I went sliding and flipped once until I came to a stop. I was sitting on the road shocked and dazed. That is when a good sumaritan drove by and asked if I was alright. My instinct said yes and then I guess he looked at me and stopped his car. That is when I noticed that something was wrong. I could not lift my left arm and I had about 40 square inches of road rash. I had road rash everywhere. Knee, hip, shoulder, both arms and both hands and a bruised forehead. Obviously I would find out later that my collarbone was also cracked. I didn't have one piece of clothing that wasn't torn. I must of been sliding on one side and then flipped to the other side. The last entry in my Garmin said I was moving into the curve with 25 mph. My sumartan offered to drive me home. I figured it might be better to cancel that days workouts. Later that day, I was informed that I might be off the bike for 6-8 weeks. Everything because of one tenth of a second.

6 comments:

Debbie Gillespie said...

Damn man, that is terrible news. What is up with all of this crashing? I hope you are back on your bike soon;)

Brandon Rudin said...

Sorry to hear about your crash. Heal quickly.

@sbaker864 said...

Sorry to hear about this incident. Get well soon.

Big Dog said...

As a TEAM, we have been hit many set backs.......Joe, this a terrible one, but I am glad you were not injured more seriously. You will come back soon and and the TEAM will as well.

Kimberly said...

Take care and heal quickly!

The Hoods said...

Joe...so sorry to hear this...I know how hard you have been working. Get well soon and get back!