Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, April 2, 2012

Remembering Lou Tice

Teenie and I heard this morning that our mentor and teacher, Lou Tice, died last night.   We don't know the details.  Lou was 77.

You won't see many stories, about guys dying, in this Blog but I felt compelled to write this.   I am pretty sure without Lou's influence, there wouldn't be TEAM and there wouldn't be Blog.

We met Lou about 20 years.   Lou used to say, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."(this is one of many Louisms you will hear Teenie and I speak).  We were ready.   In the ensuing years, Lou taught us how to think, not what to think but how to think.   He taught us how to create meaningful and lasting change.  With Lou's help, we changed our lives in very significant ways.   Lou was an unbelievably effective teacher.  If you have been effected positively by either of us,  you have likely been effected by Lou, even though you never knew him.

The difference between great and good is magnitude.   A good person leaves a better world behind.   Great people leave a lot better world behind.   The world is a hugely better place because of Lou Tice.   I have known 'of' great men but I am not sure how many great men I have known personally?   I knew Lou and he was truly a great man.

The world has suffered a loss.  Teenie and I have suffered a loss.  Although, gone, Lou will never be forgotten.   In Lou's honor, I will redouble my own efforts to make the world a better place.  When Lou hears this, he will smile.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have indeed lost a mentor, friend and teacher.

The Hoods said...

We have heard your references to him on many occasions. I'm sure he would be proud of how you both add positive influence to everyone around you.

Anonymous said...

Ran across your post while looking to see what Lou was up to these days. He was my health teacher in llth grade at Highline High School in south Seattle. He was also the wrestling coach, and a football couch. He had a radical view of teaching and coaching back in the early 60's. The way he was able to get through to us was amazing. And he never stopped opening the eyes of the people who were lucky enough to know him.
Bill MacKinnon