Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Friday, February 17, 2012

Yoga Gives Me the Reason to Race

Today I went to yoga and it was about 50% as hard as my first effort on Monday!   I did not get better at the poses.  I was not in better shape.  I was in my COMFORT ZONE today and out of it on Monday.

You have not raced in months and although GSTS is not your first race, it is may be your first one this year.   Over the months of 'off season', your COMFORT ZONE has seen some shrinkage.  Most, if not all of you, are feeling some anxiety about going to the line.  Some of you may be having high anxiety?   Let me think of a few of the potential excuses that you are conjuring up:

*  I am pretty busy
*  It is early in the season
*  I am not in race shape (of course it is a 'training race')
*  Taxes are due (April 15, but the four hours I would gone are critical)
*  It might rain (I race at 10AM and rain is forecast for 4?)
*  I have a pimple coming up on left elbow

I bet some of you have even more inventive excuses?  These feelings are not anything to be embarrassed about.   How do you think I felt on the way to yoga on Monday??  Why did I go?   Like you, I have goals and yoga can help me get there.  I focused on them.

GSTS can help you get where you are going.  It's main purpose may be to re-expand your COMFORT ZONE.  You have more important races ahead and you need to be comfortable when they get here.  This is the first step to that comfort.

GSTS is a great place to start!   You will have TEAM support, a lot familiar faces around, and you know every square inch of the pavement.

Tip from Teenie:  When you feel the anxiety, visualize a time when you were very successful.  Just replace the negative image with the one of  a success in past.   Bring that successful image and emotion forward.

Be safe and be headstrong.

2 comments:

Debi said...

Thanks Randall - this is "just what the doctor ordered" tonight for me....nerves nerves nerves....arrghhhhh!!! But you have to put your foot in the water to swim.

Giselle said...

I LOVE yoga! Especially hot yoga, although the first few times (or weeks!) you do it, you might become very light headed. If you don't you could pass out. It makes you respect what your body is telling you, which is really what yoga is all about! A good lesson for people who are comptetitive and tend to push themselves.