Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Things I Learned in Tucson, AZ

I recently took part in the TEAM headstrong Spring Training Camp in Tucson, AZ. It was awesome to spend time with my new teammates riding our bikes in the AZ sunshine. In addition to logging some quality saddle time, we spent many hours together off the bike eating meals, laughing lots and just chilling at Western HQ. I feel very lucky to have shared this experience with my teammates and I know we’re all better riders and people because of it.

All the women stayed at the Maddox house and all the men stayed 2 doors down at Roger the Rocket’s house. (Unfortunately, that’s not written on his door mat…not yet anyway.) Western HQ was the central hub for all the activities for the week.

Being on the same team with your significant other can have advantages, and I was very pleased to be able to stay with Sam at Casa de Maddox. Of course, that did mean that I stayed in a house full of women, and that’s always interesting. Everyone had a fantastic time and everything worked out very well.

Spending this much time with people can be very insightful. I’m happy to report that I learned a few things over the course of the week. I thought I would share them here.


  1. I have some of the most fun teammates on the planet. We laughed enough to make our ribs hurt.
  2. Some headstrong teammates are already fit and riding like champions.
  3. My teammates are getting smoother with all the paceline practice we do.
  4. I can’t use my weight as a climbing excuse anymore. Our “King of the Mountain” weighs even more than me.
  5. Owning a house in Tucson, AZ is great for your fitness.
  6. Some women splash like a duck in the bathroom.
  7. Even after 25 years of racing and training, I can still bonk on a 15 mile climb.
  8. Video editing is 10 times harder and more time consuming than shooting the footage.
  9. Women can’t work toilet seats.
  10. Everyone will eat a gluten free diet when it includes tamales and chocolate cake.

2 comments:

Big Dog said...

What I learned was i can't wait to have my team mates out here again.

Brandon Rudin said...

I would like to have this kind of experience with the rest of the team. Its easier to bond off of the bike.