Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, February 23, 2012

First Race of the Year

The first race of the season is always exciting. Great weather, new kits, and new teammates on the road with me all add up to a great Saturday afternoon in Greenville. Brandon, Ray and I rolled out and the race was very predictable for the most part. Staying in good position most of the race I felt we never lost control of the situation. One sizeable break went off the front and got to maybe 10 guys. Brandon and Ray went to the front to do some work. They pulled it back to a comfortable enough distance to see the break was not working well and was soon back in the pack.

Fast forward to the last lap and its definitely coming down to a bunch sprint. I make a move on the backside of the course to the back of Brandon’s wheel. Got to get there early as its prime real estate to go to the line. Ray has got the same idea and we get into our pre- planned pace line. Staying on each other’s wheels and making good use of the 8’s we make it to around top 10. Across the tracks and we roll down into the hill watching for the move. I’m in the drops ready for Brandon and Ray to start stomping the serious watts out, but the pace never picks up as there are riders blocking the entire road. We are coming in way too slow, this is crash territory. Five hundred meters to go and Ray starts getting aggressive with a move to the right. I stay on the wheel as he comes slightly back to the left. I see daylight to the right and take a gamble. Clear road!!! I hit the gas and break from the pack with only three guys to my left (see banner). I get one and am gaining on the others when we cross the line. A great race with some great teammates I am definitely looking forward to a lot more.

2 comments:

Giselle said...

Great job to all three of you! I HATE it when the finishes are too slow...can't stand a crowd. But obviously that didn't hold you guys back.

joe said...

Great job and great photo!