Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, November 14, 2010

"We Made a Statement"

The Mark Knights Ride was a great event. The cause, the weather, the bike racing community's presence and other things contributed. You could write many Blogs about today from many perspectives but I am going give you my thoughts as your Director Sportif.

The title to the blog is a quote from our own Joe Lehner. We all know Joe as quiet fella, not known for boasting or wasting words. So when Joe talks, I listen!

I also heard, "Is headstrong going to team time trial this whole thing?" It is easy to see how someone could feel this way when they looked the whole day to see B&W at the front.

No surprise, Bird and Mel took it out and stayed there forever, it seemed.

As the day progressed, Stratton came forward.

I had a couple of real highlights:
* I stopped to pee and paced back up alone....likely in no more than Z3. I passed many stragglers like they were standing still. Hey, it felt powerful to be able to do that!
* Linds stopped and went behind the Thai restaurant. I pulled over and held her bike and then we paced back to the pack. I love riding with a team.
* I left Randy(he stopped to direct traffic at the turn to Callahan)behind and I won't ever do that again. Just didn't know he was going to stay there so long to get separated?

After Callahan, we increased our presence. It went hard up the hill after we passed the fire station and turned on to Dividing Waters. Bird and Mel took a rest. TEAM headstrong riders were riding no more than tempo to keep pace. People were flying off the back. The pack was shattering.

At one point, I looked up and G, Stratton, Linds and Joe were 2nd-5th wheel. Brian and I went up to help. Some guys got pissed and said POA and headstrong were pushing too hard. He told Mel, I think, "You need to tell those women to slow down!" The reply was, "Right, you go tell 'em." Hard is relative.

Jason and Lisa were out with us today despite crashing(Jason...yesterday) and being off the bike for weeks. Not in uniform yet, we tried to include them. Sam was ever present, avoiding a near crash early and working on her fitness.

Em and Wein did the 30 miles....they were reportedly just coasting. No sweat was broken!

So I thought about what Joe said. It is early, early season. Most of us are not even training, I did intervals yesterday.........this was not a race. Statement??? What is the statement?

Well, here it is according to RPM: We are here, we are a factor, we are fit as hell...........we were not even 'going hard' most of the time. That IS our endurance pace. We don't care about age, gender or the fact that some us have been riding less than a year. We don't need no damn handicaps. We are TEAM headstrong. You can break one pencil easily. Try to break a bundle of 25 pencils and see how easy it is.

And, I am the proudest guy in the peleton today. Can you tell?

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Today was an amazing experience of being part of a supportive team. I was so proud to be wearing my kit and riding with the best teammates any team could ask for.

Brian said...

Totally agree with Lindsey. It was great to have so many teamates out there to support and be supported by. In a ride like that it was nice to have so many wheels you could ride and know you could trust.

Giselle said...

I love your enthusiasm, Randall! Not to take away from it, but it's easier to be on the front when people are in the off season and are just returning to riding. Personally, I have to admit that I rode harder than I would have if I wasn't on my new bike, but I don't anticipate doing that again for a few months, otherwise I'll be wasted before the Spring Series. :)

But without argument, it was a great ride! The route, the weather, the company, and the scenery, but most of all, knowing that it was for MARK unquestionably made my day.

Big Dog said...

Now that I think of it, I did get overly enthused. Everyone else was probably going easy(some were coasting) and we just got carried away and went too hard. We better wait until May/June to talk fitness. I just got an email from Coach Joe and he said, "I have long way to go!" Glad you and Joe hit me with reality. What am I saying, I am not glad at all. If we act in accordance with the truth though, your feedback may be valuable in helping me see the the truth. Thanks, I guess? Can I still be proud?

Sam said...

Giselle, nicely put. I rode MUCH harder than I should be at this time of the year, and felt good, but glad my HR monitor wasn't working. And let us not forget that this ride wasn't about anyone other than Mark Knights, who is fighting for his right to stay alive, not just for a ride up a hill. Great day.

Giselle said...

Oh, Randall! Yes!!! You can be proud! And there is nothing wrong with approaching base training feeling good about your fitness. Never curb your enthusiasm...please? To be selfish, YOUR enthusiasm motivates ME! :)

kristi said...

And to add to all the guarded enthusiasm--I had a great time riding with you all again! I so miss it sometimes--I feels so good to get out there and mix it up! And to agree with Lindsey, we do have a great team and I feel privledged to be a part of it!