Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Myrtle Beach Half-Marathon
















Better late than never right? We are in our very busy season in the Stratton household, so I am not trying disappear off the radar! I have been training hard for the Jacksonville Marathon with high hopes to place in my age group. Last Sunday (10/24) I competed with 4,000 other runners in the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon as a tune-up race. I paced with the top two females for the first five miles (paced 6:30-6:35), then the tummy troubles started. At that point I slowed, thinking that my gut would settle and I could pick-up the pace later--I kept the top females in view. At mile ten, there was a major surge in the front pack and they went out of view. I tried to respond, but the faster I tried to run the worse my gut became, so I just decided to settle into asa hard pace that I wouldn't get caught from behind. I finished third place female with a 1:30. It was really cool to be on stage in front of all those people and to receive the award from Bart Yasso (one of my all time favorites). All in all a very fun day!


Stratton

5 comments:

Kristen Weinacker said...

FANTASTIC JOB!!! 3rd overall? Geez!! I am so super proud of you! Way to make the podium. We've got to get your gut issues figured out so you don't have to worry about it in the marathon. When is your marathon? Thanks for sharing the great photos too!!

Giselle said...

Holy cow, Stratton! That's awesome!! One can only imagine your result if your stomach felt good.

Kimberly said...

Way to go! As one "G.I. Distress" runner to another, I am not sure what will work for you. You will have to try different things. My half (a few years ago & a 1:44) was with G.I. distress & ITB problems, so I totally know your pain! Best of luck & keep training hard!! I'm impressed!

kristi said...

Thanks guys! My gut has frequently been a problem in training, but not usually in races. I am VERY cautious about what I eat for race day. I think my biggest problem was that I was on antibiotics for a sinus infection, and I think it was irritating my stomach.

Lindsey said...

Very Impressive!!!!! Your story brings back great memories for me because MB was my first half. See you soon!