Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A WALK IN THE DARK

I walked in the dark for 7 days and 6 nights along the 77 mile Foothills Trail, extending from Table Rock to Oconee State Park with my teammate and friend, Emily. If you have never read the book, "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson, I highly reccomend it. It captures the ups and downs of the author as he hikes the Appalachian Trail. What I did this past week was a complete walk in the dark. I have never really camped except once along the Natchez Trace Parkway in mid July a few years ago in 100+ degree weather with fellow cyclists as we biked the Trace Parkway. After one night of "camping" out after riding 100 miles we decided that the rest of our bike tour would include more comfortable night housing, also referred to as the Holiday Inn Express.


In typical Weinacker fashion, I stubbornly jumped in full throttle and signed up for a week in the woods.


What Emily and I did is considered to be ultralight backpacking/camping. We had very modest means. Our hiking poles served as our tent stabilizers. You learn to be very resoureful in the woods and everything seems to have a double purpose. The first day was our strenuous day as we were dropped off at Table Rock for our little adventure. We hiked and hiked, approx. 13.5 miles along very hilly terrain with packs weighing approx. 25lbs. The supposed water source and "campsite" were not exactly positioned as we had thought. And, to top it off, a thunderstorm was lurking in the area. Night approached quickly and fearless Emily ran around at dusk throwing up the tent, pumping water, and positioning the bear bag. I felt so inept because I didn't know how to do ANYTHING! That night I had vicious nightmares as I lay like a mummy in the dark. Positioned between us was the hatchet that Emily would use and the small bear spray I would use if we were attacked. Emily's dog was on high alert all night barking and growling at noises and movements deep into the woods. I held tight to my bear spray like a child would hold its pacifier. Luckily, dawn broke and we were still alive. :)

The typical day would consist of waking up with the daylight and breaking down camp. Before this could occur, we had to have our coffee. Emily had brought a small stove and we would boil water for instant coffee and hot oatmeal. The temperatures were far colder than I had anticipated so the hot steaming coffee was a highlight each and every morning. I enjoyed blowing into my coffee cup so the steam would hit me in the face. I didn't want to let go of the metal cup as it warmed my hands for the start of the day. After our morning ritual we would walk, mile on mile, step beyond step, absorbing the vast beauty of the day's hike. We passed gorges and thru thickets, over streams, around Lake Jocasee, soaking up the sunlight as we walked, talking some, but enjoying the quiet as well. There was no need to talk most times, most communication was unspoken. For almost two solid days we didn't see another hiker on the trail. The woods were ours for establishment. Along the way we had friends join for day hikes or evening meals, this was great fun and we looked forward to PEOPLE! (and food, i'm not going to lie).

The life of a hiker is tough. You walk all day, doing the work of the day. You get to camp and you know what the reward is? You get to work more, pumping water, setting up camp, building fire, finding a place for the bear bag, and you do all of this rather quickly before the night captures you. At the end of the week I became slightly more useful and could help with the duties of camp life and eventually my walk in the dark becamse somewhat more light.

I am extremely thankful to have had a tour guide and leader in Emily. I trusted both her and her vicious attack dog, Jinx (about as vicious as a kitten in a child's arms, but I pretended so I


felt safer, haha). I learned so much about camping/hiking as I journeyed in the woods. It also served as a reminder of how blessed we are with all the little comforts in life. Running out of TP on day 3 was not cool :).

Emily and I completed 3 marathons this week as we hiked the Foothills Trail. I got to hold my first snake! She was stung by 4 yellow jackets. I got a blister on my pinky toe. She is going to lose her big toe nail. I got to hear trees talk!! This is what I call an awesome stay-cation. Enjoy the beauty of your backyard. Go take a hike!



8 comments:

Perry said...

What a great adventure!!One,I'm sure, that generated a lifetime of memories...Thanks for sharing.

Big Dog said...

I felt I was with you. You are a wonderful writer....this is a gift!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful experience. Is that not the best thing we can do for one another..for ourselves/--give experiences? After all, the 'stuff' goes away and the memories last forever. Thank you for sharing.

Sam said...

Thanks for telling us your story. What an adventure! Something you'll talk about for a very long time for sure. Oh, and I'm up for the next one if three's not a crowd!

emily wood said...

Kristen was certainly green when she started, but her enthusiasm never waned and her knowledge grew faster than kudzu. Don't let her kid you; she is a great hiking partner and held her own on the trail.

Anyone headstrong enough to tackle the trail is welcome to join us on the next trek.

Giselle said...

What a great adventure! Thanks, Kristen!!

Kimberly said...

Awesome! My husband, Scott, does this once a year with a group of guys (4 or 5 of them) and "stay-cate" for 4-5 days each WINTER! It's cold and usually snowing when they travel in the mountains!
Great write-up and thanks for sharing!!

Lindsey said...

Awesome!!!! I would love to join you guys on your next trek =)