Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, January 16, 2012

Once an athlete, always an athlete


I've had "learn how to ski" on my bucket list for a long time. I suppose I could have learned when I lived in Vail, Colorado for a year 11 years ago, but that would have taken time away from mountainbiking, and at that time, it would have been like asking me to chew my own arm off.

This year, we went to Portland, Oregon for a family Christmas. My younger brother Richard, came out from South Africa, and the three of us flew to Portland to be joined by our brother Brett and his other half, Heidi.

Being a competitive spirit, I always thought I'd do okay my first time skiing. My balance is pretty decent, cycling has given me pretty good leg strength, and sheer determination would get me through any shortfalls. On top of this confidence, as all my friends said "oh, it will be a piece of cake for you - you'll be a natural!" Well, okay!

Rich and I were excited about learning a new sport, and we booked some ski lessons for the 3rd day we were there, at Meadows on Mt Hood. The entire process of renting equipment, and then figuring out how to use it was novel. The boots felt reminiscent of skating boots, but looked like Terminators. I was expecting to look down and see them unfold and come to life, and then crawl inside my handbag. Of course the whole walking-while-looking-cool thing was impossible! It took a lot of concentration just to stay upright.

We had our lesson with a very nice woman who's name I've already forgotten, but who has been teaching at Meadows for something like 17 years. We worked on some balance techniques, and shuffling and sidestepping, and then made our way slowly down the bunny slopes, trying to control our speed in between some cones. I think I just ran all the cones over the first time. I just didn't get it. Amazing! How could I be so sure I was going to be good at this, and just not get it?!

We broke for lunch after our lesson, and met up with the rest of the group, who'd had a blast taking runs all morning. Rich and I decided we'd go up the lift with the others and try our luck on a green run. The ski lift was an experience on it's own. Never having been on one before, I couldn't believe they'd allow you to just sit on this bench so high up in the air with nothing beneath you. It was pretty scary! When we got to the top, I almost missed the dismount, and had to jump off the bench.

My brothers took off on a green run while Steve patiently helped me figure things out. I got more and more frustrated as I realized that everything I was trying to do was counterintuitive, and I had a difficult time breaking old habits. He told me to lean forward when I wanted to lean backwards, to load the downhill foot to turn, when I wanted to load the uphill foot. The whole experience was pretty miserable. The harder I tried, the more I fell down, and the madder I got with myself. Then I got mad that Steve could see how badly I was doing.

After at least an hour of very patient instruction, I finally managed to pin down some concepts. Almost at the bottom of the green slope, there was a steeper wide section all the way to the bottom, and by then I was so tired, my boots had bruised my shins, and I had snow down my pants from falling down so much (and so had a cold bum), that I decided the only smart thing to do would be to unclip my skiis and walk down. Yup, I was too scared to ski down the last 200 meters of a green run, so I walked! What a humbling experience.
I'm determined not to leave it too long before I get to go again, because I think when I finally get it, it's going to be a blast!




1 comment:

Giselle said...

I giggled uncontrollably reading this post, Sam! I can't imagine you NOT bombing down anything that goes downhill!