Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, January 16, 2012

I JUST GOT STABBED IN THE BACK!

So, I thought this team was like drama free or something? I guess like not, because I got stabbed in the back today, literally. However, I allowed this to happen, so I cannot blame anyone else but myself. I ignored all the obvious warning signs and continued to repetitively and perpetual do the same thing over and over. A chronic misstep, full of impact and misguided pain. But, in 2012 I shall turn a new leaf, free of burden and pain. All fibrous tangles of drama and spindles of endless pain will become a distant memory left at malfunction junction. I shall become a receptor of good fortune.

I sat Friday at our team meeting listening to all the inspiring goals vocalized by each teammate. A few of you mentioned getting healthy, healing up whatever ailment you might have. I personally have been working on a nagging issue for the last couple of months. Basically, an irritation in my gluteus medius, or aka, Weinacker is a pain in the butt, oops, no, HAS a pain in her butt. Going into official Ironman training, I want to have all my kinks worked out, including any nagging little issues that I usually train through. So, if you have trigger points or adhesions of fibrous scar tissue in your muscles I encourage you to see Sam for some deep tissue massage or try the Graston Technique. Graston uses tools, metal or plastic, to locate adhesions or knots in muscle, tendons or ligaments, and then that same tool can actually be used to "break" up the restriction or adhesion.

I've recently had some Graston completed, and yet my still non compliant trigger point refused to yield and go back in line with the other muscle tissues. At this time, I was referred to another PT office, ProAxis in Greenville to try something called dry needling. Dry needles are small filament type needles inserted directly into the trigger point to elicit a muscle twitch. "The dry needle has been shown, when causing a twitch response in the active trigger point and muscle fiber, to decrease or completely reduce that spontaneous electrical activity and reduce or completely eliminate the irritating chemicals in that active trigger point."

I'm thankful that I was literally stabbed in the back today with needles, other than by one of my awesome teammates. Point being of this blog post, take care of your issues now, seek alternative approaches and opinions constantly, get core strong like Sam preaches, and have good old fashioned safe 'healthy fun'.......

5 comments:

Bird said...

a word of caution on Graston... do not have a therapist do this on an inflamed achilles at the heel bone.... this ended up "crippling" me for a number of months last year...

Kimberly said...

Dude, this is awesome! I've been dealing with plantar f. for almost 2 years now...

Sam said...

I've had those needles in my rear too. It's quite something to be lying down, and looking over your shoulder only to see those long skinny needles vibrating furiously on their own. Isn't the body amazing?!

@sbaker864 said...

What the heck is this? It looks like he's stirring his coffee! This could be a sewing machine accident video! Thanks for sharing and big props to you for figuring out how to do a video blog post. I love it.

Giselle said...

Nice butt!