Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

USA Cycling National Championships in Augusta, GA by Cinthia Lehner


What a weekend. First up was the crit Friday night. I felt great and I had a good starting position. Unfortunately right as the women line up, nasty clouds rolled up above us and the wind picked up. Rain was only minutes away- crap. Quickly it seemed like every woman let out a little air of her tire, and thanks to some mechanic, I was able to get some air out of my tubulars right before the start. Before I knew it, we were off. For some odd reason, I simply could not settle down. There was constant reshuffling in the back side of the course and it was hard to hold a good position. Just after 20 minutes of racing, when I finally got a feel of the race, the announcers called 5 laps to go (due to the weather). At that point, the race simply turned into a crash fest. For the first time, I was horrified and did not even bother trying to fight with anyone for position, I just wanted to cross the finish line alive. Somehow, with 2 laps to go I moved into the top 10. Just hold it, just hold it! But on the backstretch everything was reshuffled again, and I got pushed back. Then in the last lap unfortunately a crash happened on my left and on my right and I lost connection to the leaders. I was still able to roll through the finish in 15th/3rd U23 and most importantly, all in one piece!


On Sunday, the road race was up. The course had a few rollers, but luckily no climbs. I figured the distance/heat is what would narrow the field down. The first 3 laps were slow. Unfortunately in the 3rd lap there was a huge crash that took a lot of riders out. In the last 2 laps there were constant attacks going on. This fast-slow-fast pace ended up causing a few more wrecks and narrowing down the field even more. In the last lap a group of 6 women got a good gap on the rest of the field and I was just hanging on the single-file line of chasers. Going into the last Kilometer (which was mostly uphill) my legs were hurting pretty bad. I gave it my all to the finish. Turns out I finished 30th among the elite women and once again 3rd in the U23 division. Kinda cool, turns out, for the first time I beat my friend Coryn Rivera, a 33 time national champion! It’s just very sad that USA Cycling does not do a U23 women’s podium, even though there is a U23 Men’s. Would have been very cool to get 2 bronze medals....


I was so glad to have Linz and Giselle with me at the starting lines. It makes such a huge difference starting such big races with a teammate, it is definitely very comforting!


Next, I will be traveling to France with the USA National Development Program. There, I will be competing in two 4-day stage races. I’m so thankful for this opportunity! Good things like these definitely make up for all the hurdles and bad luck I had to overcome in the last two years of racing.


5 comments:

mel said...

Great Job!

Kristen Weinacker said...

I LOVED READING THIS!!! Glad you are alive :) And, even better, you totally killed it!!! You are not just riding with the big girls, you are a big girl and deserve to be there! Congrats on your performance!!!

Kristen Weinacker said...

When are you traveling to France? Bonjour!! :) Au Revoir! My poly vous Francais is terribley :)

Big Dog said...

Someday we will all be saying, we rode with HER 'back in the day'.

Kimberly said...

Exactly, and that "someday" is quickly approaching! Way to go, Cin!