Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, September 3, 2011

I AM my biggest obstacle!

When I get out of the way, I can then become successful. I am my biggest obstacle.

On Friday I drove 5 hours to Alabama to pick up a daschund pup as a gift to my mom. I managed to scope out an 8k run in Hoover, Alabama that same weekend and I thought, why not do an 8k while I'm there? This was the Ross Bridge 8k set in the 'classic American resort town' subdivision of Hoover. My personal goal was to place in the top 3 overall and to break 35 minutes on the course. I have been winning my age group or placing in the top 3 in my division in pretty much all events that I enter. I have never been able to break into the top 3 overall category. I never had really set a goal in prior races to be in the top 3, but generally to win my age group. I had been selling myself short. My fate had already been predetermined before I had entered an event.

The night before the event I watched the movie, Facing the Giants. A good movie that I actually thought about during my race. The movie reminded me about 'giving my best'. My absolute best, and having zero regrets. Today, I gave my best.

The race started at 8am when the temps were already almost at 85 degrees. It was crazy hot and humid, but the course was even crazier. For those of you that don't know, Birmingham is HILLY! There were approx. 150 women entered. Sure, lots of 'fillers' who just wanted to finish, but also some really fit runners who approached the line and jostled for a good position at the start. You had to have a good position because about a 1/2 mile into the race, you jump on a narrow trail loop that makes passing much more difficult. I started at the front near the women I thought looked fast.

I ran hard, digging up hills, and attempting to let gravity pull me down on the flip side. The sun bore down on my flesh with its harsh rays. I quickly found myself separated with the top runners. I didn't doubt, I belonged. I saw two women ahead of me, their feet dancing as if on clouds. I ran harder and paid for it in mile 4. It got hillier. It got hotter. I gave my best.

I crossed the line, not breaking 35 minutes, but as the 3rd OA woman with an avg. pace of around 7:08. I had broken out of my age group for the first time. To me, a big deal. I gained confidence and won some awesome gift cards :) Prizes are better in the overall , lol. More importantly, I broke my mental barrier.

The were two farmers praying for rain due to a long drought. One farmer believed that the rain would come and had so much faith that before God sent the rain, he went ahead and prepared his fields. The other farmer kept praying and did not prepare his fields. Guess which farmer got God's blessing? The one who prepared his fields, even in a time of drought.

Sometimes, as RPM has taught me, you must believe first. Believing IS seeing, and not vice versa.




3 comments:

Big Dog said...

We are facing the same thing out here in Bend. Most of us can improve our results in years to come, but we will first need to believe we can.

Kimberly said...

Amen, sista! Preach it! Awesome post and I can completely relate! Congrats! I am proud of you!

Giselle said...

Wow! It's so cool to break out of the age-group conundrum! Congrats, and cute dog.

I miss you on the bike, though... ;).