Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Amputees in Action

It was a great fall day today!  Watching guys, with one leg, climb up steep hills was pretty inspirational.  

We had a nice show for the small ride:

Emily was smokin' as always.  Weinacker is alive and was setting pace on the hills, just like days past.  Schusler was out and made us all see stars, so to speak.  I will let her explain or better yet, show you.

We were rollin' along when Catherine James, our new team mate had a flat.  Sam, Bake and I stayed back and made a quick change.   We stopped at the rest stop (our first of three).   Hey, the season is over and we are having fun.   Teenie had hung back and we stepped it up in pursuit.   We got pretty close on Callahan Mt. but I had to take a nature break.

Bake and I fell in love with the Whole Foods Oreo 'look a likes'.  We dreamed they were organic.

Ray held back for us at Rest #2 but then killed a bee with his head and sagged.

When we hit the parking lot, I was sure there would be no cars but I was wrong.   Sam, Schusler, Bake, Teenie and I headed to Williams Hardware for lunch.   Later, I cat napped.   All was right in the world!

Great to ride with new team mates as well as old ones.

Hope to see out there.

  

1 comment:

Kristen Weinacker said...

What a beautiful ride for a beautiful cause. Simply amazing like you said seeing the amputees pedal up those climbs so efficiently. How can I ever complain of being sore? Puts everything into a little more perspective for sure.

p.s. The Zaxby's fried chicken sandwiches were definitely organic...:) And, I saw a first! Oreos dipped into lukewarm Starbucks coffee...yummy?