Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday UWBL Jan 29th ... B's

Most of us (Randy, Mel, Brian, Tom, Ray, Linz, Elizabeth) opted to ride the B's as 100+miles was not in our training plans (or legs, or heart.....).  Since Randy has been leading the B ride we supported him and the shop riding a good tempo ride with a couple of good "rollouts" and efforts ....  Cinthia and Joe opted for the A's as the entire LeesMcCrae team were in town for the ride.

It was a beautiful day to ride, cool at the start but I cannot remember the last time we had some real warmth. on a bike ride....Randy led things out controlling the pace with a little help from me and the team, at least until the "rollout" after Possum "something"...... where the rollout turned into a slugfest ........tooooo far out and created the first "burn" of the day..... Ray, Brian, Linz, and I all started to play as Kelly (?) jumped...... Wait....isn't this waaaay toooo early to go?    I sit up, Linz sits up.... riders now coming up..... its a long way out........ I tell Linz its a long way and she can reel them in.........   several riders trying to real the three bad boys in......... Linz goes......everyone starts to fade before the finish ..... I think Brian go it.......

Rollers back across to Dunklin Bridge where we try to set up a pace line...... no go.... Impatient I launch off the front trusting that one of my team mates would make the move with me..... Nada.... solo off the front ... ..... I am maxed out.. no one coming..... hands in the drops, head down...... I am not going to make it..... to early in the season...not enought training for this old body to pull this off........... Tom pulls the pack back up to me and luckily I am able to jump back in before the turn on Slatton Shoals...... Legs are toast (maybe that big hill workout on Thursday just did me in...... or maybe....)... We are headed back north into the wind...no surprise there, making our way back to Hwy 20........

Ray "the motor", Brian "the spin", Tom "Diesel"  and Mighty Mouse drive the pack on the run back in.   Randy and I watched from the caboose as we watch the "kids" and the diesel motor us back in..... Some guy next to me says.... who is that woman up there?  She is killing it.......

Its a B ride...... don't tell my legs that..... Great ride.... Randy Mc did a great job leading this...  I am toast...

Elizabeth hung on and hung on throughout the ride (were you there for the final run in???) 

January....   30 more days of winter riding.....

6 comments:

Kristen Weinacker said...

WOW! AWESOME JOB, ENJOYED THE READ BIRD AND ALL THE FUN TEAM NICKNAMES! I REALLY FELT LIKE I WAS THERE! And, Bird, you ride like a kid still, you can't fool anyone :)

Weinacker update: I ran

3 X 6 + 15 - 4 X 2 + 14 LAPS

in a circle around the Clemson Track. I know, boring update!

You can do the math, if you really care to :)

Brian said...

It was great to ride with a lot of teammates in the SC January weather.I can't wait to see the results once we start racing.

Ray Freeman said...

It was quite a day for a bike ride. I am certainly looking forward to spring series. It's going to be fun. For the record....Brian didn't get it. He was out motored.

Elizabeth said...

Bird - I was actually feeling that my ride on Saturday wasn't all that disaterous - but now that I know that all I did was "hang on" I may have to rethink it!

Bird said...

..... I have to say you never looked stressed when I drifted back to check on the back of the pack....

Giselle said...

Aw man! Sorry I missed it...