Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, January 22, 2011

REDEMPTION IS MINE! G-VEGAS TIME!!

41 DAYS, 16 HOURS and 31 MINUTES. This is the amount of time I have left before my feet grace the line for the Snickers Marathon in Albany, GA. I savor this countdown as I anxiously await completion of my first ever marathon. But first, I have a little redemption of my own, something more personal that has its roots deeply planted from last year.


Today, I raced in the Greenville News 5k with approximately 2,000 other crazily clad runners in 31 degree weather. We shivered and shuttered around a 3.1 mile, somewhat hilly course thru the streets of downtown. I did not win, yet I was a winner in my own right. I won because I got to the start line and completed the race. Last year, I sat on the bench with a calcaneous stress fracture taking note that next year would be different. And, it was. I ran a personal best 5k of 21:11 and placed 2nd in the 25-29yr age group out of 124 women. Yes, I wanted to win, but I did and didn't at the same time. I won because I raced as hard as I could. After downloading my garmin, my HR avg. was 173bpm. But, my max was 204. 204!! I have not seen this number or anything above 190 since rowing and those dreaded 2k erg tests that would make anyone want to puke. I had to double check the data because as we all know, technology can flaw and your heart rate can spike on occasion to 250/300 if it picks up a different signal. But, this was my actual heartrate. At the finish, I got an instant ear ache. Something that I also got when I rowed those darn 2ks.


The most amazing person at the race (other than my mom :) was a woman named Evelyn Tripp. She set a NATIONAL record today of 50 minutes (give or take) for the 5k course at 95yrs. young! I was fortunate enough to be able to take a picture with such a champion in her own right.

I still have a lot to learn about running and 5k's. I did not taper for this because it is a stepping stone towards my ultimate goal of the marathon. I would like some feedback about something I noticed in the race today. I found myself getting passed, not on the uphill, but on the downhills by swarms of runners. Is there a certain technique I am missing here? What is the missing link? Shorten your stride, lengthen? Let gravity pull you forward? How do you run downhill, haha, seems like such a simple question............................

THANKS!

8 comments:

Perry said...

Congrats...sounds like your having a great season of both racing, and discovery.

Giselle said...

I was talking with Emily on the ride yesterday. I was worried that as cold as it was (30°) when you ran, it might not be the best scenario to set a PB. Emily agreed that it is much harder when it is cold, BUT she thought you would do it! I'm so glad she was right! Congratulations...you did win!

Big Dog said...

Teenie has always taught me to 'act as if and prepare for' when I reach for a bold goal. You seem to be doing just that!

Big Dog said...

Practice can make you a downhill runner and safety comes first.

* Shorten your stride and get foot on the ground as fast as you can. It needs to hit the ground under you! Not in front of you. Running all happens behind you. You achieve faster speeds by faster turnover, sort of like cycling.

* Practice - Find a 2-3% down hill grade. For you, do this on grass.....no hard surface. Do 30 right strides. At first go only 70-80%. You will be able to run faster and faster. The distance you cover in 30 strides will get longer and longer. It is bizarre but 'getting your foot down fast' will actually lengthen the distance you cover! You will slowly learn to lean a little forward vs leaning back!

You always want a mid-foot or toe strike vs a heal strike. When the heal hits in front of you, the force on your legs and body is tremendous.....this is true of running on flat ground as well. Good marathoners who have longevity and little injury know this.

Good luck in Snickers!

Kimberly said...

Awesome! I so wanted to be there but have about 3 more weeks until I can "try" running again!! I hope to be with you soon!! Randall is right on downhill running, however, also let gravity help, just remember that you have more pressure on your foot going downhill, so the toe- or mid-foot strike is right on:)

Way to go:) 21:11 is VERY respectable!!

Lindsey said...

You sounded like you were ready to ROCK when you called that morning! CONGRATS!!!! Thanks for sharing your journey to Snickers!!

Anonymous said...

K-well done! WOW!!! You look and sound like the experience was awesome. Use it to propel you forward. Warmest Regards, Teenie

Bird said...

SO..... you descend running like your biking!

Listen to DS.... shorten your stride and increase your turnover and no heel strike..... let it flow...

congrats .....