Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, February 18, 2013

Sub Zero Racing


When you race and the temperature stays in the 30‘s, choosing the right amount of clothing can be an important factor. Week number 2 of the Hincapie Spring series was one of those race weekends you would never forget. Saturday at Fork Shoals the outlook was sleet, snow, rain and 37 degrees at race begin. It snowed in the parking lot. So I went with my rain jacket, 2 base layers and my jersey. They put the 40 and 50 year old masters together because only 35 stupid old guys showed up for the race, but with the 40 year old masters there was enough horsepower to make it an exciting race. 

I knew after the first climb that I was overdressed, after the second climb I was cooking and in the second lap I felt that I was in a sauna. I could‘t breathe. I unzipped my jacket. I even unzipped my jersey to no avail. Unfortunately I am not a racer that can take off there jacket during a race. Well to make a story short, I stayed with the front group until 2 miles before the finish and called it a day. Problems with my shifter did not help my situation either. To shift down I had to shift down twice and up once. Very annoying. 

Sunday would be different. I got up and looked out the window and saw a blue sky. Nice I thought, well until I saw the outside thermometer. 16 degrees fahrenheit. The coldest day of this winter so far. Well it made sense, everything was covered in snow. I was waiting for a call or text from my daughter who races 2 hours before my race. Seriously I was sure they would call it off. I mean even church service was canceled. Well the call came and the message was that the streets are dry at Donaldson and everything would take place as scheduled. 

So now what I thought. I packed everything, left the house and after driving 5 miles I noticed that I forgot my bike. Is this the sign that I was waiting for. Maybe I am not supposed to race? Well I went home and my wife was waiting for me in the drive way with my bicycle. Obviously for her this was hilarious. At Donaldson the wind was blowing at about 15 to 20 miles per hour. I was already shaking when I got out of the car. Well I did have one less base layer and instead of the rain jacket a vest. 

At the start I was told that the 50+ masters would do their own race today. There were 21 of us. Waiting at the line my legs were uncontrollably shaking. After the race started I warmed up fast and was happy that this time I choose the right wardrobe. In the second lap 5 men got away and I thought to myself that the race is over. Well never underestimate the Headstrong train. 2 of my amazing teammates, Joe and Bobby, myself and 3 other racers caught the breakaway within 2 laps. It proves to never give up! So now the cards would be reshuffled. My adrenaline was pumping now. In lap no 5 a new break with 8 riders formed. Joe and I made the cut. To tell you the truth this was my first ever breakaway in a race. All of a sudden I find myself yelling at everyone to get this organized and make a pace line. Silence! We make a pace line and everybody rotates. Wow they listened to me.

Joe and I still need to work on our sprint tactics. We took the last 2 spots of the breakaway, then again half the group did not race the day before. Still we were very happy with our results that day and said to ourselves it can only get better. Most of all I know what to wear when racing in the 30ties.  

6 comments:

Bird said...

Awesome and congrats to you Joe G, and Bobby...

Brian said...

It was definitely cold! I raced after you guys and between the wing and the temps it wasn't very pleasant! Great job.

Big Dog said...

The calvary is coming but in the meantime you guys are doing a great job of representing us! We be there soon if to do nothing but yell for ya..

Brandon Rudin said...

Great job guys. Sounds like you all worked well together.

The Hoods said...

great riding guys..and girls!

Larry Ruggiero said...

Joe, this didn't do a thing to motivate me to man up in cold weather! Seriously, congrats, wish I had contributed, but 40deg is my lower limit. See you this weekend.

Larry