Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reboot the Computer

Above, are the only three words you need to know to hold a six figure IT job in Corporate America.  

I tried today to save Teenie's ride by rebooting here Di2 Electric Shifters but............

Camille, Hoodster, Sam, Teenie and I were headed out for what would be a 5+ hour tour and she didn't get a block.  Her rear derailleur was dead.   We yanked out the battery and put it back in......no good.  We pressed the 'battery check' button and a lll looked charged.   We pressed the 'on/off' (so to speak) button.   Nothing, nada, nicht!!!

Teenie headed to HQ.  She got her back up bike and blitzed to Einstein's to meet us.  We got there and she was on 414 headed our way.......great.  Only not so great.   Teenie had checked everything on the bike including tire pressure but we both forgot that when our daughter was here this weekend, she had brought her shoes with SPD's.  We had installed SPD pedals.   There ought to be laws against using SPD's on road bikes?? Maybe there are?  I'll check.

Needless to say, Teenie's day was over.  The rest of TEAM bravely forged on.

When I returned to HQ only minutes before dark..........to the 5+ hours, on the bike, you have to add 2 coffee stops.   Hey, we didn't start until 9AM.  Ben, at Carolina Tri, had Teenie's bike going.   We needed to hold the 'on/off' (so to speak) button down for 5 seconds until it blinked and then continue to hold until it glowed steady.

This complex rebooting, if introduced to corporate IT systems, could threaten many jobs.   We could lose Ben to a major corporation where all he would do is reboot systems.  Today, I was the only one who failed to reboot!

Next time I will know.

Ah, TECH stuff.   You can live great with it but sometimes it kill ya.
    
Hope to see ya out there.

3 comments:

The Hoods said...

Teenie was most gracious. If it had been me there would have been language to make a street hooker blush!

Kristen Weinacker said...

I love the Di2 shifting, but had to laugh at myself the other day.....about a mile or so into my ride my shifting would just not work. I was like crap, not again...will have to take the bike back to the shop....probably needs a reboot or something..should I just ride it single speed and avoid the hills? After about 10 more minutes of mental bantering , I remembered....the battery was charging back in the house. Stupid human.... must have needed more coffee for sure!

@sbaker864 said...

Thanks to all your early adopters for sorting out the fancy shmancy equipment before us mere mortals give it a go. I've rarely had a mis-shift on my trusty old mechanical stuff. I am learning through you guys though, so I'll be ready to give it a try when the time is right.