Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Randall Does Texas

I returned to the place Teenie and I lived for 20 years to spend 5-6 hours a day this week with my Dad, who's health continues to fail.   It is sort of 'death by a thousand cuts'.


Brought a bike to help keep my sanity and even the riding carried many emotional swings.  I cruised by all the homes we had during that period.   The very first one stopped me dead in my tracks.   This was a little non-air conditioned house built in 1932.  We were 32 and 24 respectively when we moved in and still crazy....but we were crazy in love.

I think the idea that half my life has passed since then was overwhelming.   How could that be?  and so fast?

On Tuesday, I rode very early and then in the hammerfest at 6PM.   You don't know how lucky we are to have SCTAC and other opportunities.

This morning I went on a big loop around the town.   I left on Little Flock Rd....not really sure if there were ever any sheep out there?   Names are funny.   Belfalls has no falls.   It is on the county line between Bell and Falls Counties.......Falls Co has no falls either?

I was fighting a 15-20 mph head wind going out.   It was a reminder why Texas riders can climb mountains when they have no mountains on which to train.

Solo, I won all the sprint points.   Several times I was seriously challenged by short legged dogs but I was triumphant.   After about 3.5 hours I returned to my hotel, hot and sweaty (high in the mid 90's today).

I will be glad to be back tomorrow and hugging some SC/NC roads this weekend.

Hope to see ya out there.

2 comments:

The Hoods said...

The view from the FM road reminds me of our time in Texas with the killer winds. You'll aqppreciate Greenville when you return!

Hoodster

@sbaker864 said...

The bike does indeed keep up sane at times. I find I go to it more often than not to "clear my head" or "gain perspective". Sometimes we're riding with you even though we're not there.