Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Oak Ridge Velo

I recently wrote(again) about being a bike racer.....a competitor vs a rider.   This came after slogging through a cookie ride.

Saturday afternoon in Oak Ridge, I was reminded of one of the many reasons I compete.   Late in the afternoon, 2.5 hours after a grueling road race, I pulled my TT bike up to the line.  It had been pouring for about 20 minutes.  The wind was blowing.  My legs were blown from cramps in the RR.

Only four guys had showed up.  Two were the leaders in the Tennessee Point Series......that's a good reason.  Who knows about me and the other guy??..........everybody else that raced earlier, was back at the hotel, home or Starbucks.

In the next 19 minutes and 35 seconds, I learned more about myself than I could have slogging through a hundred cookie rides.   They don't call it the RACE OF TRUTH for nothing.  Later Saturday night at the hotel, I reflected........ got emotional and sent my thoughts to Teenie and Bird.

Alas, my race season ended this weekend.  I WILL be riding around for fun the next weeks.......not worrying about what I might NOT be learning.   Yoga, running, mountain biking.......lots of stuff.

As we enter the 'off season' soon, maybe you could think about why you compete?   If you are not competing, maybe you could think if it would be of value to you to return to it?  The coming months are a great time to examine your goals for 2013.

Hope to see ya soon at a September TEAM meeting........date out soon.

No comments: