Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Debi the Crash Test Dummy
































Yes - it was bound to happen - a crash for me today AFTER the POA Brookwood criterium. The cat 4 women again had their own field - and we showed up in impressive numbers! The entire GHS every woman cycling team was there led by Kelly Patton. I was buried in a sea of pink! There were over 15 women in our field.


The race was not terribly fast and stayed together most of the time. I sat mostly 3rd to 5th wheel without any difficulties. I really didn't have any legs at the sprint but managed to cross the line 5th.....then the crash.....


On the back side of the cool down lap - a junior racer decided to take a right hand turn into a parking lot to turn back to her team and car. She didn't look before turning and turned right into my path. We both went down hard but got back up. I suffered some soft tissue damage to my left hand, a knock on the head and some rash on my left leg. Nothing that won't heal. It is very disappointing though to suffer an injury AFTER a race......especially when you didn't win :(


I did learn a few important lessons:

(1) I love my team!!!! Randall and Christina stayed for my race to cheer me on and offer sound advice.


(2) When an experienced racer tells you to watch out for a particular rider...LISTEN and pay attention.



(3) Don't wear your wedding band when riding your bike...duh....my band suffered a lot of damage as we skidded down the pavement.



(4) Maybe crit racing is not the best venue for a dentist.



Speaking of my team....do you notice any similarities in the photo of the crash test dummy helmet and our....ahem....kit???

2 comments:

Big Dog said...

Yes,one other thing on the learning list......the warm up and cool down are as dangerous than the race. People or so focues onthe race theya e not paying crap for attnetion. My friend Ed McAlister crashed twice badly in the warm for the French Broad one year.....once at the TT and once at the RR. Same as you, riders made a right turns across his wheel....he got hurt pretty bad. A lot of people use trainers for this reason.

Debbie Gillespie said...

I was about to mention to you the day before to stop wearing your fancy rings when you ride. Ooops, My bad. ;)