Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Just another day in Greenville, SC...

I took advantage of yesterday's spring-like conditions to sneak in a two hour training ride. My "coach" (that would be myself) had me scheduled for 8x2min "Big Gear Hill Climbs", which I like to do out by the Green Valley area. I escaped the apartment with shorts and legwarmers, a long sleeve jersey and a wind vest, my first day out in months without full tights, a jacket and shoe covers. I enjoyed the tranquility of a warm-up spin on the smooth asphalt of the Swamp Rabbit Trail, where I had the road to myself with the lone exception of the kamikaze field mouse that darted in front of my wheel, challenging my bike handling skills. I turned left past Furman U, crossed the highway, and rolled down the hill and across the bridge before starting my first climb. Pushing a big gear at 60 rpm's and 300w, I forced myself to concentrate, and not pedal in "squares". As I was recovering at the top of my 5th repeat, a slightly built woman in headstrong kit streaked by me, intensely focused and tucked in behind another rider. It was none other than our own Giselle, absolutely crushing the climb...in February! I turned around and rode back down the hill, ready to begin my next repeat, when on the opposite side of the road, tucked in behind a motor scooter, a tall rider in red BMC kit and white Oakley sunglasses was effortlessly flying up the hill, trailed by a small gaggle of riders.

Riding home, I reflected on the day, and I don't know who was more impressive, Big G or Little G, but I do know this: I would never have experienced what I experienced today in the Fla Keys...or Cincinnati...or Pittsburgh...or anywhere else for that matter. Greenville, SC is a pretty cool place for a cyclist to live.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

It sure is!!! Glad you are here =)

Kimberly said...

I love this place! So glad to be from here as well!!! Great post, Perry!

Giselle said...

I was only hehind for a moment, but I was off the wheel, not tucked in...for the record. :)