Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, February 12, 2011

It's good to have teammates

Another day riding the UWBL. Less miles, faster and 3 sprint zones. An excellent preparation for next weeks races. 4 teammates riding the A group Giselle, Emily Brian and myself. From the start all riding together. We stood out as a team. Somewhere the women decided to do there own ride, which was understandable. Brian and I rode the rest of the ride glued to one another. We both got dropped in the last sprint zone because we were near the end on the hill at SCAT (not paying attention), when Boyd and a few others cranked it up so hard that a huge gap occurred, which we could not bridge. The lead group slowed down and I told Brian lets time trial it and try to catch them. He did not hesitate and took off, as I followed. No one else went with us. We rotated every 60 seconds. Unfortunately we did not catch the group, but made a statement, finishing 1 minute or so behind them. Teamwork! Yea it is fun to have teammates.

3 comments:

Giselle said...

That sounds like fun, Joe, and perfect prep for the GTS, too!

Emily and I rode with another lady, Louise, from the end of the first attack zone and did the scheduled ride without the SCTAC loop. We were told that they would regroup after all the attack zones. I sat in on the tail end through the first attack zone and "paused" with the group, but they left before Em and Louise regrouped. I waited for them and could see them coming when the group was pulling out, and we tried to catch on for a good 5 miles with the group in sight, but it became apparent that we wouldn't. Fortunately, Emily had the cue sheet, I had my GPS which I'm still learning to use, and Louise had her iphone with its own GPS. Both Loise and Em were counting on the regroup so they opted to fall back in the attack zones in order to save their legs, but thought they would have pushed it a little bit if they knew the group would not have waited. When Chandler asked me where I went, I told him this story and his take was the group waited forever, but he hates stopping, so who knows? Regardless, we enjoyed our ride and it was much better that we were together.

Big Dog said...

Team mates - Bird and I finished a 25+MPH crit together with 3 of my competitors(one wearing the leader's jersey). Bird did about a 1000 meter lead out around 2 sweeping turns leaving a 300-350 meter sprint. I was second in the sprint, making me 5th overall. It was a thrill to beat the man in the leader's jersey along with a Canadian National Champ. HAVING GREAT TEAM MATES IS WONDERFUL THING.

Brian said...

It was great to ride with teammates with racing experience. It is also great that I can already start to worry about tactics and am not having to worry about trying to hang with the group due to fitness. Can't wait to see headstrong's results this weekend