Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Discovery

When I woke up this morning, like many of you, I looked out and saw a gloomy morning.   Fitting for me and the mood I was in and Teenie was in Hew Hampshire.   You see, I have been on the pavement a number times over the past couple of weeks, so to speak.

This week already included about 10 hours solo on the bike, by choice.   One of my trips to the pavement, included a mountain bike crash last week that left me with a broken rib.   I think the 4th such event in my life and very painful.   I felt I needed to ride alone for my safety, others and just the fact that I had little strength.  However, the biggest knockdowns have been emotional........they are tougher.

Yesterday and today I tried to put something together by using the game show routine:  PHONE A FRIEND.   When that did not work, I sulked but figured their was a reason behind me being alone.   "Think outside the box, RM,"  I said to myself.........Boyd Johnson had mentioned to me this week about riding the Swamp Rabbit Trail to SCTAC?   Soon I was on the internet:

http://grvlsc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/basicviewer/index.html?appid=d0ffd46ed6ec426490fb1d406144cb20

Above is map of the trail and particularly the eastern section beyond Cleveland Park.   Now, maybe I am the last person on the planet to know this but the SRT goes miles east of downtown.   I debated on bikes....road, townie or MTB.   Wider tires seemed better and maybe some gears?  I was tired and needed some gears......so MTB it was!   Boom, I am in a whole new world in 10 minutes.   How can a guy live in Greenville for 13 years and not know this is around him?

In the next 2 hours, I covered miles of new ground.  I saw a red cardinal, 8 squirrels, a 2 foot long living snake, a cute little fawn and only 2 humans east of Cleveland Park.   Conestee Park is beautiful and you can leave the trail and jump right over to SCTAC as Boyd said.   The infrastructure being created is amazing in terms of bridges and wooden walkways/ride ways.  There is little likelihood that this part of trail will ever be super crowed as it does not follow the train tracks and is up and down, making it harder to use for some.   Let me warn you, you must ride on the street for about 1.5 miles and there is a short unpaved section.   I think when this unpaved section is dry, it is suitable for a road bike but I think you will have more fun on a bike like I took if you have one.

If you do this route, allow about 2 hours from downtown.   This ride has no training value but could carry high emotional value.......it did for me.  That may have been timing more than anything.

Today, brought the week together for me.   Discovery is another term for learning.   I discovered new roads and new places this week but mostly some new things about me.   Kind of amazing that I could learn anything new about a subject I have studied for 63 years?   Some of what came up this week and particularly today will need much more thought.......probably counsel from some of you.

I was reminded of something I have said before, "It doesn't matter how many times I get knocked down,  it only matters that I get up EVERY time."  Today only started gloomy, it was a 'get up' day and a 'get up' day is a bright day.

See ya out there.

And, oh, if you want a guide, I know the way!  This week I will be back riding with others.......thank goodness.  Introspection can be hard work.

 

No comments: