Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Tour de Ladoe

This is my 5th time in the 6 year history of these epic tours.   The 8 day Tour this year, is running through California much like the Pro version.

Today was the 6th day and a short stage.  It was a must break.   Imagine if you will, the first 4 days ridden back to back at intensity of one of our TEAM rides......2:45 to 5 hours long.   Cap that with yesterday.   We rode 96 miles from Carmel to Cambria at roughly 18 mph.  Mostly on famous Hgwy 1,  we climbed a total of about 8000 feet in short climbs, less than a mile.

I rode the last 27 miles solo.  I won't get into how this happened.  Only a 4 mph trailing wind saved me as I drove very hard, head down and in the the drops.

Most of you know I don't do a lot without a purpose in mind and for the Tour this year, I decided to test my limits and see just what I might be able to do at Nats.   I learned the last few days that I have a lot more than I thought.  My body has continued at max effort for a long periods after my mind told me to quit.

I have had 2 broken spokes, a failed tire and had to borrow a wheel.  I started the Santa Cruz Mountain Challenge, rode 5 miles, broke a spoke, rode back to the start for a wheel, and then completed the Century, beating a couple of hundred folks.  I have ridden every stinking mile in the Tour.....only four of us have achieved the feat.  It ain't over, yet.

Two key days remain in the Tour.   We ride tomorrow for about 75 miles across a mountain range to Solvang, in the San Ynez Valley.  Friday, we take on Mt, Figueroa, aka the The Stinger.   It is an HC rated climb.  I have had two previous dates with the Beast and I will be looking for a PR.  About 4000 feet of climbing, 3 water crossings and a half mile of dirt road stand in my way.   Wish me luck.  I will keep you posted!

3 comments:

ed levins said...

was just in monterey for the specialized dealer event. did 17 mile drive, absolutely beautiful. enjoy your trip!

Kimberly said...

Awesome! have fun and try to enjoy yourself as you are definitely fit!

Lindsey said...

You are inspiring! Can't wait to hear all about it Coach!