Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Dogs Days and Dreams

It is August.  It has been very hot.  We have been racing for months.  The season is over for some of us.  It is a time when many of us are pretty burned out.   Heck, I can't even get anybody to post a blog.

Seven of us are not done yet.  In fact, you might say our season hangs in the balance.   We have brought ourselves to a high level of fitness.  We have a few very hard workouts left and thank goodness, some of our team mates are supporting us by helping us train.

Now, is when it starts to 'get mental'.   Joe pulled up beside me last night SCTAC.  When I ask, how he was doing, he replied, "I am getting a little nervous."  Joe is not alone.  This week it hit me.

I always 'get mental' when I go for something big.   You see, it all sounds hunky dory to me as I set these bold goals but when it gets to where the rubber meets the road, I ALWAYS have a turn of negative thoughts.  I call it my, 'Holy crap, why did I ever think I could do this __________?', stage.

There are, inevitably, these points in the journey, when the goal seems bigger than me.

So, if you ever feel this way....about Master's Nats or you fill in the blank, you are not alone.   There is at least two of us!

Teenie has taught me that is OK to feel intimidated but it is not OK to stay intimidated.

In the many years and many experiences I have had in this area of FEAR, I have tried many remedies.  I have tried talking myself out of it, ignoring it....you name it I have tried it.  One thing works and one thing only.   I place pictures in mind of me being successful.   I visualize myself in the peleton, in the winning move, in the winning sprint.  I even see myself standing on the podium with David LeDuc and Kenny Fuller.

When you dream big, this 'get mental' thing is all part of it.   There are points when the thing will be bigger than you.  Just don't let yourself 'stay mental'.

When people think about TEAM headstrong, I hope they have many positive thoughts.   I guess it would please me a lot if people thought,  "Wow, those dudes (and dudettes) dream big and they go for those dreams.

Hey guys, the season is long in the tooth, but let us here from you with a post!




No comments: