Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, September 20, 2012

SPIRIT

I want to introduce you to my friend Rose. We met several years ago when we were both going through a very difficult time in our lives. We bonded immediately over our love of cycling. Rose trains every year to ride hundreds of miles and raise thousands of dollars for JDRF....Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. One of Rose's three daughters has type I (insulin dependent) diabetes. Her daughter has faced some scary times in the hospital throughout her short life.

Imagine my grief when I found out that my friend Rose's life was going to be cut short as well. She was diagnosed with a brain tumor....there is no cure. After her diagnosis, Rose was determined to continue to ride and raise thousands of dollars for JDRF. She rode in 2011, but her illness cut her ride short when she suffered a seizure while riding and found herself in a hospital hundreds of miles from her home in Seattle. One would think that would stop anyone cold from getting on a bike ever again. Not Rose!!! I watched her train on a stationary bike through chemotherapy and radiation - determined to ride again in 2012. As her own disease progressed, she remained determined and continued to raise funds for JDRF. She came up with a way to ride again this year by pedaling behind another rider in a pull behind trailer. Even though Rose was in the stoker's position - don't for a minute believe that she wasn't the captain of that rig!!!


I'm not sure I would have the ingenuity and passion to figure out how to ride a bike facing so many obstacles. I find myself making excuses to not ride in the cold, wind or some other inconvenience. People with diabetes have a permanent inconvenience that affects every part of their life and their family's lives. There is no cure for type I diabetes. Long term consequences include heart and blood vessel damage, retinal damage, kidney damage and circulatory problems.

Many of you know Simon Bennett, a local racer for team Globabike, and the founder of Diabetes Sports Coaching.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/betessportcoach
"Diabetes Sports Coaching offers expertise and proven experience with founders who have over 35 years of combined experience working with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetics coupled with Simon's background as a world class athlete competing with Type 1 Diabetes Swimming in Australia and Cycling in the United States". Simon also coaches many local athletes through the Greenville Cycling Center.

What are you passionate about???? What motivates you????? How do you give back to the community???? It helps keep our cycling in perspective to sometimes shift our focus from LT, FTP, watts/kg to the bigger picture. There are many opportunities in the Greenville area to combine your cycling with giving back to others. Don't be so quick to dismiss the "cookie rides" because they are "not races". They have a purpose and a cause behind them and are worthwhile to consider.

When all is said and done it comes down to each person to decide what is important to them. Would you want your headstone to say "Jane Cyclist....she had an FTP of 250 watts"......or "Jane Cyclist....she had SPIRIT"

This is the Rose Wisner Spirit Award, take less than five minutes of your day to watch and listen to an inspiring woman. " Rose says "I made my daughter a promise and that is why I am here. If I can't be here next year, then I intend for YOU to keep it" Rose embodies everything Team Headstrong stands for "If I can dream it, I can make it happen"



Love you Rose!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What an inspirational video and what an amazing person Rose is. Life is good and we need to always remember that.
And by the way, you made me cry!
Thanks for sharing this.

Giselle said...

I needed to hear this story today. Thank you, Debi.

Rose Wisner said...

I'm very touched. I don't know what to say except our Lives crossed for a very important reason. I love you Debi