Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Athens Twilight by Cinthia Lehner


With some bad luck last year, I came back to Athens this year for revenge. After finishing top 10 at Sunny King I hoped to repeat a good result at Athens, my favorite race ever. Everything went well. Good starting position and my legs felt strong. This is it! The start of the race is fast. I never saw the front, but luckily never the back either. Just hang on, Cinthia, after 20 minutes it will slow down. So it did, and half of the girls had been pulled at that point as well. Many crashes happened left and right, but luck was with me this year and I never kissed the pavement. With 13 laps to go, it was time to get in position. Lap by lap, I carefully moved up through the corners. 3 laps to go, I’m sitting top 10 and I did everything to hold it. The crowd is cheering so loud and I feel this huge adrenaline rush through my body. The speed gets faster and faster, and at that point my body is numb. Before I know it, we are going into the last corner and I count 7 girls in front of me. This is it! This is my chance to shine! But no. All of a sudden, I feel my rear wheel lock up and my bike starts sliding towards the barriers. Shit. Thanks to cyclocross, my right foot instantly clips out and I somehow stay upright. I try to pedal, but my crank is stuck. Immediately I jump off my bike and see my tire half way off my rear wheel. I look up, see the finish line in front of me and start running. What could have been a top 5 turned into a 25th place. Why quit though, when you have the finish line in sight? It is super frustrating, but I guess this is part of bike racing. At least I proved to myself once again, I can hang in there with the big girls, and then there is always next year....


3 comments:

Big Dog said...

Cin, you can't just hang with the 'big girls', you ARE the 'BIG GIRLS'. Proud to have representing our TEAM.

Kristen Weinacker said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! I read every word with purpose and could feel that adrenaline rush there with you at the end. The surge, the power, you were there, present at the finish. It was not just "part of bike racing" that you were there at the end. You are a tactical rider and moved up nicely, played your cards fast and rode like a pro. I am proud of you! Your confidence is great to see! Next year Athens has got your name written all over it!

Lindsey said...

awesome write up!! great job! you are an inspiration and i'm so proud to be on the same team with ya! hopefully i will be out there with you next year =) keep up the great work!!!