Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, April 21, 2011

I love Racing


SC STATE CRIT CHAMPIONSHIPS - Joe, Perry, Bird and I started in field of about 42 folks racing for the 45+ and 55+ championships.

Bird went to the front immediately to control attacks. In about lap 4, David LeDuc bridged to a 3 man break and I caught the wheel of Richard Distlerath to bring it back. LeDuc is gone in seconds in this type situation.

Perry joined Bird at the front and so it went, me setting in. With 3 to go, a fella left his line and ran me off the road into the grass. I lost 5-6 wheels but regained them quickly in the turns. Not easy, with speed running at an average of 28-29 mph.

Into the bell lap, I marked Richard, my 'guy to beat'. Joe came by, just like planned, for the lead out and I got on with one rider between he and I. I was in a perfect place, coming into the last turn on the outside, at what would later be determined to be 24.5 mph. I had pedaled through this turn for 20 laps but at this speed the bike was laying over too far. I grounded my pedal, lost control and went over the handlebars into the weeds. I landed squarely on top of my head, breaking my helmet and destroying my Giant frame. Barely missing a large tree, I found myself laying on the ground checking to see if things work. The paramedics came and I felt I should get checked out.....this was a big impact.

Teenie soon arrived. In a neck brace, I could not move my head but heard familiar voices and saw some faces. Never hesitate to check on a friend or team mate who is down. Those voices were very encouraging. My team picked up all the pieces. I went for a CT scan.

Joe continued to the finish, thinking I was still on his wheel. I wondered how many more times my team mates put me into a position to win only for me to fail. I felt glad to be alive.

While writing this, the phone rang. George called because he had 'heard'. I've got tell you, I was overwhelmed. A guy who has flown off his bike a zillion times calls to check on me? I fully understand why he is one of the most loved champions in cycling. I fully understand why I value his friendship. People have called and emailed from all over the country. News travels fast in cycling.

I am already back training with a very sore neck. I will always remember laying on the ground and thinking how glad I was to not be alone.

4 comments:

Kristen Weinacker said...

Wow, that is a intense pic of you on the ground. I'm glad to read you are okay. You didn't fail, you truly flew and gave it 120% in the race. Get back on the bike and keep living. Some never ever truly live. How sad. You inspire!

emily wood said...

there are a million good reasons to join a team - inspiration, encouragement, advice, a friendly wheel, someone to drink a beer with afterwards, support when you really need it. I think you covered them all in your race/crash. so glad you're okay and remain as ever headstrong!

Perry said...

2 things I will never forget about that day:

1) How relieved we all were to hear you were ok...

2) RM laying there, in a neck brace, not knowing if all the parts still worked, and pounding his fist against the ground saying "I had them!"

...now THAT'S a competitor.

Ray Freeman said...

I will always remember seeing Randall come walking back into the park after being carted off in an ambulance. He was back cheering on the TEAM within a few hours....one tough dude.