Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Boone Roubaix.....

Perry mentioned to me a race up north of Boone called Boone Roubaix in honor of the Belgium Spring Classics... He thought it would be fun and since I had no plans I thought a little different terrain and race might be interesting..... Unfortunately I did not read the website.... (fool)

Shame on me... this is a real test of legs, lungs, tenacity, and resilience.  You see the first spike up above... well that is how far we made it with the 35+ lead pack after a neutral rolling start.   The really cruel part was that you passed the start finish line twice.... just as you are about you to hit the unpaved 1mile 15% climb that continues on for another 2 miles to the summit on a paved road.   And this is not the "Koppenberg" which comes later and serves up a 20% gravel climb section followed by a ripping descent down .. yes a dirt road, which several riders left various body parts on.....

The Pro 1,2 and 3's saw a third of the pack quit,   But did Perry and I bail?  no way, we paid our money and we were going to suffer to the end. (Team Headstrong).. which meant solo riding for the last lap as Perry's companions bagged it and I could not hang on to the 2 riders I was with up the dirt climb...... BUT.. we did finish  (11th and 12th of the 45+..... the last 2 riders as everyone else quit).... SO.. I guess you could say we are "true Hard Men of the High Country"



If anyone wants to do it next year I will be happy to give them directions.

3 comments:

Perry said...

I was "OGUP"...Over Geared and Under Powered...check out Jennifer Johnson Bennett's Facebook site for some great photos of the event.

joe said...

Wow and Cinthia almost had us signed up!

Big Dog said...

I can't make i to the corner in a 35+ peleton.