Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, December 13, 2010

UWBL #2

The weather cooperated for UWBL #2, which to me is one of the more critical aspects of these rides. Mel, Joe, Ray, and I were there enjoying the civilized temperature before the temperatures were predicted to plummet for the next week.

I see these rides as great training rides for me. Some may say the pace is too fast for this time of year, and certainly for many, it is, but I see it as an opportunity to practice riding efficiently in a group. The more effiencient I can be, the less work I do...something that appeals to me, as you all know. :) I think "training" this is as important as training pure fitness. December is the "no attack zone" month which really makes sense, however there was a recent decision to have a zone about 35 miles in for Cat 4/5 men and women. They called all interested parties forward in the group before the zone, allowing them to eventually separate off the front and go for the glory. Quite honestly, I think the pace was fast enough. The zone went on for what seemed like forever. Shortly after there was a store stop which also seemed to go on forever. But, holy cow, after the stop the pace really picked up. I'm sure that some of the people that took part in the intermediate sprint were regretting having done so. Perhaps Ray can comment on that?! :)

Coming in on Grove Road we passed Teenie, Linz, and Lara coming in from their ride...also enjoying the snippet of good weather but at a much more civilizied pace. It was a great day for a ride and it was so good that many of us were able to take advantage of it. Let's hope for many days like this this coming winter!

3 comments:

joe said...

I agree it was a great ride and the weather was well appreciated. 77 miles and the pace wasn't that bat either. I kinda missed the sprint zone start. Had to gap 100 meters and that took a lot of overcoming. By the time I caught on, the group increased the pace which really did not help. For some reason I was always able to hang on to the leaders, other than Ray who was trying to solo it. The hill finish was to much as he told me afterwards. In the end we were down to 7 or 8 riders. I was in 4th when somebody from behind yelled sprint. 3 riders passed me and in 5 seconds the sprint was over because we passed the finish line. At least some people new where the finish line was. Other that that I think everybody had a lot of fun?

Giselle said...

I should have known you were up there duking it out, Joe! You are just as amazing as your daughter!

Ray Freeman said...

I agree G....the "sprint" zone was a little over three miles long. I tried to do most of that solo (idiot) and it didn't quite work out the way I envisioned when I took off. I got caught with about a half mile to go. Live and learn.

I reviewed my heart rate data and I stayed in upper Zone 2 and lower Zone 3 for the majority of the ride with the exception of the "sprint" zone, some of the longer hills, and parts of the last few miles. The pace definitely picked up on the second half of the ride.

I plan to be back out there this Saturday.