Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Monday, June 24, 2013

I Dreamed of Breaking Away

I started pinning a number on my back in 2007.   Soon, I dreamed of really racing.   Even though I spent a couple of years off the back and I was 58 years old,  I often dreamed that I could someday attack, counter, go off the front........ solo.

Had I waited too long in life??  Had my time passed?  I was usually racing much younger guys.....I was not getting younger.  The questions haunted me.

I put effort behind the dream:

*  70+ races
*  20-30 Centuries
*  4 Granfondos in Europe
*  About 80 SCTAC A/B Club races
*  15 Shootouts
*  2 great coaches
*  super team mates
*  2 great training partners
*  thousands of hours of training

Montgomery was my day to realize the dream.   It was 44 miles of hot road racing.  Attacks started immediately.   Bird and I worked together to contain things.......we are like watching a concert.....no talk.........but we make music.

We brought in a solo attempt about 20 miles into the race.  It was earlier than planned but I felt the time was right.  I rode up the left side near the yellow line and just rode away.   Soon the moto told me I had 30 seconds and then later, a minute.   The hills were coming and the next to last was the KOM.   I thought, "If I can make it through these hills......".    As I approached the KOM, the field was coming hard behind.  It was mine but I knew after they would catch me.

I was away for 7 miles and about 18:30 minutes....riding solo at 23 mph.

Absorbed, only 5 riders caught me.  I recovered.  Emboldened, I mounted about 5 more attacks before the sprint.....5th place, 1 KOM, 1-2nd KOM, $35.00 and a smile that still has not gone away.

It is never too late to dream and realize a dream......and man, is it fun!

4 comments:

Brandon Rudin said...

My kind of race. Better to race the whole race and not just the last 200m. Congrats on living the dream.

@sbaker864 said...

Way to go DS. Glad you got to live the dream. Take that experience and build on it. Your days of riding off the front might be just beginning.

joe said...

Congrats Randall. You are riding stronger than ever.

Lindsey said...

That is AWESOME!!! Congrats!!!