Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Tour of Battenkill....



April 14th

900 miles of driving to ride in one of the largest Pro/Am single day races in the USA… Truly a Belgian classic… weather… cold and wet, oh AND windy… dirt roads 10 sections ..25% of the 65 miles AND a dozen dirt steep climbs.... 

This is one of DS’s “A” races and has been on my "bucket list" for a long time, although I lack some serious training this season.....… a 60+ field … old guys.. but some really really good old guys.... 

9am up having breakfast… we have over analyzed the race at least a dozen times….. 10 selection climbs each about a mile long with pitches up to 13%.... .. 38 degrees.. should be about 42 at our start time of 11am….. (note the 11am)..  DS thinks we could do the course in 3:35 ... just the 2 of us.... I am a bit skeptical thinking about that 15% dirt pitch we rode up yesterday... 

I drop our wheels off at the wheel truck (the guys seems way too much in a hurry), dress … 
DS...“bird, what are you wearing?”…. 
Bird....“I am f^%^*& freezing”…..let’s go for a ride and decide”…. 
out spinning in the wind, in anticipation of race pace…… back at the car dressing again…..

Bird...“Randall, where is everyone?  I don’t see Bernie, or Tom?”… 10:50 ride up to start line……….

no cyclists….nada…. just 2 race officials……..

Bird..“you getting ready for the 60+?”.........

Officials.. "What?"..... “the 60’s went off at 10:10……”   

 “Merde!”

I am off like a scalded dog, as I hear DS yelling …”bird, bird…. slow down… bird….. wait … wait……. We don't have a plan!

Plan? Plan?  40 minutes late... I mean if it was 5 or even 10 minutes I would be in full chase mode.... wait, I am in full chase mode....... I ease up for DS, and say… “I am racing this thing… 3:35… 3hours 35 minutes … let’s go”………

DS does that slow head shake he does and gets on my wheel……… 100K 2 man time trial….. 5,000ft of climbing with numerous steep pitches….. and 18 miles of dirt roads……

2 old Carolinian's going full out.... DS once made a comment that we have shared a fox hole before.... this was like being behind enemy lines.... trading pulls... no chit chat... no stops... no coasting.....  gotta make it..... 

And so it goes…. 3:43… ride …. we actually caught 2 riders….. not the 3:35 but a helluva a ride over a very difficult picturesque course.....

not our best day…….  but they scored us..... putting us down as 13th/14th.. with our actual time we would have been in the top 10... without the aid of pack....so who knows.... will ever know, as I am not going back.... 

No comments: