Team headstrong will enter 2014 under 2 new teams, Greenville Velo (out of Greenville, SC) and Maddog83 (out of Tucson, Az).. It has been a great 4 years of racing, companionship, and community. We have accomplished some great things, but like all things, time moves on and so will we. See below for more details......

Thursday, July 14, 2011

FBC

I did my final easy ride on my TT bike today.  Only one hour at high cadence.......3 ea. spin ups at race pace....for about 30 seconds each.

The gear is mostly staged for transport.  All the tires are inspected, the bikes washed (you really can't race on a dirty bike), the brakes adjusted, the spares wheels all set.

For me, this culminates months of training and is a final step to Master's Nats in about 6 weeks.  I have peaked......there are no excuses.

Goal for the TT is a PR that would take me under 30 minutes.  I did 30:14 last year but they lengthened the course .5K (after 2009) and that was the thing that kept me above 30 last year.  My emotions are mixed.........I have had little time, since the SC State Championship, on my TT bike.   I know my competition and though only 9 have currently signed up, I have never beaten 4 of them.  Hopefully a few more of the area's top riders will come in late.  My neck is feeling better and I am positive (but then what's new about that?).

The RR is really a challenge.  Last year, I said that I would stop picking courses that suited me and just race.   This seemed essential if I was to reach my dream to be a top stage/omnium GC contender.   Forty mile in the mountains.......I have to tell you, I feel like Fabian Cancellara must have felt facing today's stage in the Pyrenees.  This year, us 60 year old guys don't have to pace with the Cat 4's.......we are riding with the Juniors for 17 miles until they finish and then on our own.   I plan to attack if I have any capacity to do so.   If I do not, I will take a mid pack placing and just get some Omnium points.   This will allow me to save energy for the crit.

Who knows about this crit??  At 1.1 miles and having no sharp turns, the course should be fast.   I will not underestimate the little climb we should see about 12-13 times.   The truth is, I am goal setting for the podium, plain and simple.

Of course, the GC is my real focus.   TOP 3.............that's the goal.  No duckin' or dodgin'.........that is it.

 Looks like about 12-14 of you will be joining me for all or part of this party.......are you ready??  What are your goals??

No comments: